A question about diesel engines

In summary, diesel engines have a "steady torque" due to their unique cycle where fuel and air are not compressed together until the burn, allowing for a higher compression ratio and cheaper fuel. This also results in a higher thermodynamic efficiency compared to otto cycle engines. With advancements in fuel injection systems and turbochargers, diesel engines now have similar performance to otto cycle engines while maintaining their efficiency advantage.
larsa
I have read ( excuse me but i don't remember the reference) that a diesel engine, contrary to an engine that works on the otto cycle, is a " steady torque" engine meaning that torque doesn't change with revolutions.

Could someone explain me the reason? ( in case that this statement is true ).
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
I drive a diesel powered car. The engine torque certainly isn't constant. However the torque vs rpm curve is certainly flatter than petrol/gas powered cars I have had in the past. I'm not sure why.

larsa said:
I have read ( excuse me but i don't remember the reference) that a diesel engine, contrary to an engine that works on the otto cycle, is a " steady torque" engine meaning that torque doesn't change with revolutions.

Could someone explain me the reason? ( in case that this statement is true ).
Thank you
To some degree, both the diesel and the otto cycles will produce torque curves which are relatively "flat" over a particular range of RPM. The diesel torque curve is probably flatter than an otto cycle's because most diesel engines are not designed to rev as high, and therefore do not suffer from increasing losses in induction efficiency as RPMs increase, which leads to a reduction in torque output. Also, many diesels are supercharged or turbocharged to provide increased power output.

6.7-powerstroke-hp-torque.jpg

Above is a set of power and torque curves for a common automotive diesel engine. Not all such diesel engines exhibit the awesomely flat torque curve between 1600 and 2800 RPM, but many do.

The curves below show how an otto cycle compares to a diesel cycle:

Peak-vs-Flat-Curve-Torque-.jpg

Likes larsa and billy_joule
SteamKing said:
To some degree, both the diesel and the otto cycles will produce torque curves which are relatively "flat" over a particular range of RPM. The diesel torque curve is probably flatter than an otto cycle's because most diesel engines are not designed to rev as high, and therefore do not suffer from increasing losses in induction efficiency as RPMs increase, which leads to a reduction in torque output. Also, many diesels are supercharged or turbocharged to provide increased power output.

6.7-powerstroke-hp-torque.jpg

Above is a set of power and torque curves for a common automotive diesel engine. Not all such diesel engines exhibit the awesomely flat torque curve between 1600 and 2800 RPM, but many do.

The curves below show how an otto cycle compares to a diesel cycle:

Peak-vs-Flat-Curve-Torque-.jpg

Thank you for your answer

There are fundamental differences between Diesel and Otto cycle engines in the times of fuel combustion and the expansion stroke.

An ideal Otto cycle engine compresses a stoichiometric mix of fuel and air. Pre-ignition must be avoided before the spark ignites and burns all in an instant explosion at top dead centre. Expansion of combustion products then takes place over the power stroke.

An ideal Diesel cycle engine has excess hot compressed air at the end of the compression stroke. Only then is fuel injected as a mist, to burn as it is injected over a considerable period of the power stroke. This maintains pressure on the piston during the expansion stroke.

The advantage of the Diesel cycle over the Otto cycle is that fuel and air are not compressed together in the diesel until the burn, so a higher compression ratio and cheaper fuel is possible with the Diesel. By avoiding the possibility of pre-ignition, doubling the compression ratio is possible with the Diesel which raises the thermodynamic efficiency to 150% of the Otto cycle 100%. That has significant economic and environmental implications.

Over the last 100 years, better fuel injection systems and turbochargers have made Diesel engine performance very similar to Otto cycle engines, while maintaining the Diesel cycle efficiency advantage.

1. What is a diesel engine?

A diesel engine is a type of internal combustion engine that uses compression ignition to ignite the fuel. Unlike gasoline engines, which use a spark plug to ignite the fuel, diesel engines rely on the heat generated by compressing air in the combustion chamber to ignite the fuel.

2. How does a diesel engine work?

A diesel engine works by compressing air in the combustion chamber, which causes the temperature to rise. This high temperature, combined with the fuel being injected into the chamber, causes the fuel to ignite and create a controlled explosion. The force from this explosion pushes the piston down, which turns the crankshaft and ultimately powers the vehicle.

3. What are the advantages of a diesel engine?

There are several advantages to using a diesel engine. They are typically more fuel efficient than gasoline engines, meaning they can travel further on the same amount of fuel. They also tend to have longer lifespans and require less maintenance. Additionally, diesel fuel is often cheaper than gasoline.

4. What are the disadvantages of a diesel engine?

One of the main disadvantages of a diesel engine is that they produce more emissions than gasoline engines. This can be harmful to the environment and human health. Diesel engines also tend to be more expensive to purchase and repair. They also tend to be louder and produce more vibrations, which can be uncomfortable for the driver and passengers.

5. Can a diesel engine run on gasoline?

No, a diesel engine cannot run on gasoline. The ignition process for gasoline and diesel engines is different, so the fuel cannot be interchanged. Additionally, using the wrong fuel can cause damage to the engine and potentially be dangerous. It is important to always use the correct fuel for your specific engine type.