Reviewing Efficiency of Otto & Diesel Cycle Heat Engines

In summary: I have just been asked this question in a different way, can somebody tell me what relative efficiency is? Relative efficiency is how much of the total work done by an engine is useful work.
lee123456789
Homework Statement
Review the relative efficiency of ideal heat engines working on the Otto and Diesel cycles.
Relevant Equations
none
Hi, i have this question and don't understand it. can somebody explain what i have to do.
i know a ideal engine is a engine running on carnot cycle
i what the cycles are
i don't know what relative efficiency is and what there looking for
(Q) Review the relative efficiency of ideal heat engines working on the Otto and Diesel cycles.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've been given the cycle names to review (neither was Carnot). It's easy enough to Google the equations for efficiency...or look them up in your textbook.

russ_watters said:
You've been given the cycle names to review (neither was Carnot). It's easy enough to Google the equations for efficiency...or look them up in your textbook.
ive written about mechanical and thermal effiency for both. the ideal engine bit and relative efficency got me. every other question specifically said mechanical and thermal efficency

What is ideal heat engine. The ideal bit got me.
In the question am I just comparing mechanical efficency and thermal efficiency.

lee123456789 said:
ive written about mechanical and thermal effiency for both. the ideal engine bit and relative efficency got me. every other question specifically said mechanical and thermal efficency
You didn't ask us about "mechanical and thermal efficiency". What, exactly, did these other questions ask?

"Ideal" here generally just means no other losses.

P.S., the first hit on Google for my guess at that follow-up question is a 5 year old PF thread.

russ_watters said:
You didn't ask us about "mechanical and thermal efficiency". What, exactly, did these other questions ask?

"Ideal" here generally just means no other losses.

P.S., the first hit on Google for my guess at that follow-up question is a 5 year old PF thread.
comparing otto vs diesel in heat engine, if deisel has higher thermal efficiency and work done would that mean it has high mechanical efficiency.

I just want to check my comments i made, if it makes sense before i submit

Summery statement I've made

• Otto and Diesel both have practical and theory cycles whereas carnot has only theoretical cycle.
  • If heat engines where running the theory cycles of Otto and Diesel, there would higher effiency than their practical cycles.
  • Diesel Theory cycle has greater output and effiency than Otto cycle by looking at PV digrams.
  • the Carnot cycle would have the highest efficiency, it determines the maximum possible efficiency in heat engines.
Theory assumptions for carnot cycle. (do these assumptions apply to diesel and otto cycle aswell?)
  • There is zero wasted energy as it is because assumed there is no friction and output work is maximised.
  • There is a cold and heated reservoir, greater the difference in temperatures greater the efficiency. As thermal energy isn't lost, no energy is wasted so temperature difference doesn't decrease so efficiency remains high.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
lee123456789 said:
comparing otto vs diesel in heat engine, if deisel has higher thermal efficiency and work done would that mean it has high mechanical efficiency.
If you are comparing two real engines, thermal and mechanical efficiencies are not directly related.
Thermal efficiency means that the machine produces more mechanical work from the same thermal potential of the fuel, or that it is able to obtain more energy from it by inducing higher differentials of pressure and temperature (that is the Diesel type of engine in this comparison).

How much of that generated mechanical work is useful and how much is wasted in form of friction, etc., is the meaning of mechanical efficiency.
At least in theory, since the Diesel engine is subjected to higher combustion forces and its more robust reciprocating parts have more inertia to the cycling accelerations, losses due to friction should be higher than those in an Otto engine of identical dimmensions and rpm's.

1. What is the purpose of reviewing the efficiency of Otto and Diesel cycle heat engines?

The purpose of reviewing the efficiency of Otto and Diesel cycle heat engines is to understand how well these engines convert heat energy into mechanical work, and to identify areas for improvement in order to increase their efficiency and reduce energy waste.

2. How is the efficiency of Otto and Diesel cycle heat engines calculated?

The efficiency of Otto and Diesel cycle heat engines is calculated by dividing the work output (mechanical work) by the heat input (fuel energy). This is known as the thermal efficiency and is expressed as a percentage.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of Otto and Diesel cycle heat engines?

The efficiency of Otto and Diesel cycle heat engines can be affected by several factors, including compression ratio, temperature and pressure of the air-fuel mixture, ignition timing, and friction losses. These factors can impact the thermal efficiency and overall performance of the engine.

4. How do Otto and Diesel cycle heat engines compare in terms of efficiency?

In general, Diesel cycle heat engines tend to have higher efficiencies than Otto cycle heat engines. This is due to the higher compression ratios and lower losses in the Diesel cycle. However, the specific efficiency of each type of engine can vary depending on design and operating conditions.

5. What are some common methods for improving the efficiency of Otto and Diesel cycle heat engines?

Some common methods for improving the efficiency of Otto and Diesel cycle heat engines include increasing the compression ratio, improving the combustion process, reducing friction losses, and implementing waste heat recovery systems. Additionally, advancements in engine design and technologies, such as turbocharging and direct injection, can also contribute to increased efficiency.