A question about Friedmann Equations

• Thread starter $id
  • Start date
$id

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello everyone,

Its been 4 years now since I posted, Last time i was asking for school homework and now I'm about to finish my physics master degree with 1 exam left in cosmology.

As I'm sure you are aware, the k term in the Friedmann equation represents the curvature term k = 0, -1 & +1. I have a few queries about this.

Why is this term restricted to these values? Is a continuous k not valid under the FRW model?
Secondly, more generally, does this k represent the "shape of the universe" and is different from the curvature in GR?

sid

Answers and Replies

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why is this term restricted to these values? Is a continuous k not valid under the FRW model?
Yes, but coordinates in FRW models that allows this can always be rescaled so that k only takes the values -1, 0, 1.
Secondly, more generally, does this k represent the "shape of the universe" and is different from the curvature in GR?
k represents the curvature of the spatial hypersurfaces that result for each fixed value of cosmological time, not the curvature of spacetime.

Chalnoth
Science Advisor
Yes, but coordinates in FRW models that allows this can always be rescaled so that k only takes the values -1, 0, 1.
Yup. However, today we often don't worry about measuring k, but instead Omega_k, which most certainly does take on a continuous value. Also, I may be mistaken, as it's been a while since I looked at this, but I think that the freedom to rescale the coordinates is already taken up by the convenient choices we make in order to apply the FRW equations to measuring the expansion (t = 0 at the false singularity, t = 1 today).