A Question About Partial Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for velocity and kinetic energy in terms of position and time. The question is raised about why it is acceptable to assume that the partial derivative of velocity with respect to a coordinate is equal to the partial derivative of position with respect to the same coordinate. A possible solution is suggested, stating that the two derivatives are not actually equal, but can be related through the change in the coordinate with respect to time. The expression for the partial derivative of velocity is also explained as being representative of the change in velocity with respect to the change in coordinates over time.
Maor Hadad

Homework Statement

[tex]v_{i}=\dot{x}_{i}=\dot{x}_{i}\left(q_{1},q_{2},..,q_{n},t\right)[/tex]
[tex]T \equiv \frac{1}{2}\cdot{\sum}m_{i}v_{i}^{2}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial\dot{q}_{k}}={\sum}m_{i}v_{i}\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial\dot{q}_{k}}={\sum}m_{i}v_{i}\frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}[/tex][/B]

Homework Equations

Why is it ok to assume:
[tex]\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial\dot{q}_{k}} = \frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can say that:
[tex]\frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}=\frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial q_{k}}=\frac{v_{i}}{\dot{q_{i}}}[/tex] but it's not the same as written.

and the expression [tex]\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial\dot{q}_{k}}[/tex] says to differentiate the velocity according to change of the q quardinate in time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maor Hadad said:

Homework Statement

[tex]v_{i}=\dot{x}_{i}=\dot{x}_{i}\left(q_{1},q_{2},..,q_{n},t\right)[/tex] [tex]T \equiv \frac{1}{2}\cdot{\sum}m_{i}v_{i}^{2}[/tex] [tex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial\dot{q}_{k}}={\sum}m_{i}v_{i}\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial\dot{q}_{k}}={\sum}m_{i}v_{i}\frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}[/tex]
2. Homework Equations [/B]
Why is it ok to assume:[tex]\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial\dot{q}_{k}} = \frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can say that: [tex]\frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}=\frac{\partial x_{i}}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial q_{k}}=\frac{v_{i}}{\dot{q_{i}}}[/tex] but it's not the same as written.

and the expression [tex]\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial\dot{q}_{k}}[/tex] says to differentiate the velocity according to change of the q quardinate in time.
Maybe try:
##\displaystyle \frac{\partial x_i}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial x_i}{\partial q_k} \frac{\partial q_k}{\partial t} ##​

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative in multivariable calculus that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. They are useful in analyzing functions with multiple input variables.

2. How are partial derivatives calculated?

Partial derivatives can be calculated by treating all other variables as constants and taking the derivative with respect to the chosen variable. This is similar to taking a regular derivative in single-variable calculus, but with the added step of holding all other variables constant.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

The main difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative is that a partial derivative measures the change in a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant, while a regular derivative measures the change in a function with respect to one variable without any other variables being held constant. Partial derivatives are used for functions with multiple input variables, while regular derivatives are used for single-variable functions.

4. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze and understand functions with multiple input variables. They are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and engineering, to study and optimize complex systems.

5. Can partial derivatives be applied to any function?

Yes, partial derivatives can be applied to any function with multiple input variables. However, the function must be continuous and differentiable in order for the partial derivatives to exist. If a function is not differentiable, the concept of a partial derivative does not apply.