A question about photon helicity

In summary, the conversation discusses the helicity of a photon, which is defined as \hat{\mathbf{S}} \hat{\mathbf{p}}/|\mathbf{p}|. The question is how to show that the photon has +1/-1 helicity eigenvalue from this definition. One approach is to fix an arbitrary axis and show that only two spin orientations survive for a massless particle. Another approach is discussed in a separate thread.
Comanche
Dear everyone,

I have a simple question about the helicity of photon. The helicity operator is defined as
[tex]\hat{\mathbf{S}} \hat{\mathbf{p}}/|\mathbf{p}|[/tex]. How to show the photon has +1/-1 helicity eigenvalue from this definition?

Thank you ~~

Physics news on Phys.org
Comanche said:
Dear everyone,

I have a simple question about the helicity of photon. The helicity operator is defined as
[tex]\hat{\mathbf{S}} \hat{\mathbf{p}}/|\mathbf{p}|[/tex]. How to show the photon has +1/-1 helicity eigenvalue from this definition?

Thank you ~~
It's

[tex]\chi = \vec{\mathbf{S}} \hat{\mathbf{p}} = \vec{\mathbf{S}} \frac{\vec{\mathbf{p}}}{|\vec{\mathbf{p}}|}[/tex]

The argument is rather simple. First we know that for the photon we have spin s = 1 and therefore sz = 0, ±1. But the longitudinal polarization is absent for massles vector particles, therefore only sz = ±1 remains. (*)

Now the next step is to fix the arbitary axis ez w.r.t. which we define the spin orientation; we set

[tex]\hat{{e}}_z = \hat{{p}}[/tex]

Now the photon is moving into z-direction and we have

[tex]\vec{\mathbf{S}} \vec{\mathbf{p}} = \mathbf{S}_x\mathbf{p}_x + \mathbf{S}_y\mathbf{p}_y + \mathbf{S}_z\mathbf{p}_z \to s_z p_z = \pm p[/tex]

where on the r.h.s sz and pz are the eigenvalues w.r.t. the new reference frame with px = py = 0

(*) But I guess this simple algebra is not really your question I and I gues you want to understand why for massless particles only these two spin orientations survive

EDIT: There are two different ways to find the two physical helicity states of the photon, but I don't see how they are related; therefore I started a new thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=644149

Last edited:

1. What is photon helicity?

Photon helicity refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a photon, which determines the direction of its spin. It is a property of light and other electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is photon helicity measured?

Photon helicity is measured using a polarimeter, which detects the direction of the photon's spin by measuring the polarization of the light. This can be done using various techniques such as rotating polarizers or analyzing the interference pattern of the light.

3. What is the significance of photon helicity?

The helicity of a photon is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of light. It plays a role in many physical phenomena, such as the quantum spin Hall effect and the chiral anomaly. It also has applications in fields such as quantum computing and telecommunications.

4. Can photon helicity be changed?

No, the helicity of a photon is an intrinsic property and cannot be changed. However, the polarization of light can be altered, which can affect the direction of the photon's spin.

5. How does photon helicity relate to the concept of chirality?

Chirality is a property of objects that cannot be superimposed on their mirror images. Photon helicity is related to chirality because the direction of the photon's spin is determined by the direction of its propagation, making it a chiral property. This is also why circularly polarized light can exhibit chirality, while linearly polarized light cannot.