• Thread starter topsquark
  • Start date
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
What is the spin group classification for Weyl particles?
I never considered this until now. Dirac particles have a spin representation of ##(1/2,0) \oplus (0,1/2)##. This represents both parts of the 4-spinor. But what is the representation of Weyl particles? Is it still ##(1/2,0) \oplus (0,1/2)## or is it just (1/2,0), since we have a definite helicity?

Thanks!

-Dan

Addendum: I'm going to add to this. The question about helicity may be a bit of a red herring: the photon is ##(1,0) \oplus (0,1)##, which covers both A and B subAlgebras. But Proca particles are (1/2, 1/2). I'm not sure what to do about the m = 0 case for Dirac particles.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
topsquark said:
TL;DR Summary: What is the spin group classification for Weyl particles?

I never considered this until now. Dirac particles have a spin representation of ##(1/2,0) \oplus (0,1/2)##. This represents both parts of the 4-spinor. But what is the representation of Weyl particles? Is it still ##(1/2,0) \oplus (0,1/2)## or is it just (1/2,0), since we have a definite helicity?

Thanks!

-Dan

Addendum: I'm going to add to this. The question about helicity may be a bit of a red herring: the photon is ##(1,0) \oplus (0,1)##, which covers both A and B subAlgebras. But Proca particles are (1/2, 1/2). I'm not sure what to do about the m = 0 case for Dirac particles.
After pondering some more I think the only conclusion that I can draw is that the Weyl representation of the Poincare Algebra must be ##(1/2,0) \oplus (0.1/2)##, just like the Dirac representation.

Mathematically, the groups A and B are independent, so if the spin representations aren't the same we need to add equivalent (but switched) groups to make it symmetric. The reason the Proca and Maxwell representations are different is due to the fact that the Maxwell representation admits no spin 0 (well, helicity 0) particles, so we need to change it. The spins of the Weyl particles are not actually restricted, they are just fixed to particles/antiparticles. But the m = 0 condition doesn't actually change the wave equation, so it shouldn't change the Lagrangian, so it shouldn't change the representation, either.

I'm not completely satisfied with this answer. My logic chain only works in one direction: I don't know how to derive this result from first principles, but it may simply be that the extra condition on Weyl particles does not affect the representation we are using, which does make some sense to me.

-Dan

What is the Spin group for the Weyl equation?

The Spin group for the Weyl equation is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of the Weyl equation in quantum mechanics. It is a subgroup of the special unitary group SU(2).

How is the Spin group related to spinors?

The Spin group is closely related to spinors, which are mathematical objects used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum of particles in quantum mechanics. Spinors transform under the Spin group in a way that is consistent with the symmetries of the Weyl equation.

Why is the Spin group important in quantum mechanics?

The Spin group plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics because it helps to describe the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons. By understanding the symmetries of the Spin group, we can make predictions about the behavior of these particles in various physical systems.

How is the Spin group different from the Lorentz group?

While the Spin group describes the symmetries of the Weyl equation and spinors, the Lorentz group describes the symmetries of spacetime in special relativity. The Spin group is a subgroup of the Lorentz group, but they serve different purposes in theoretical physics.

Are there applications of the Spin group outside of quantum mechanics?

Yes, the Spin group has applications in various branches of theoretical physics, including particle physics and general relativity. It provides a framework for understanding the symmetries of physical systems and has implications for the behavior of fundamental particles and fields.