Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about Poisson process (waiting online)

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    Hey guys, I encounter a question (maybe a silly one )that puzzles me. Nt is a Poisson process and λ is the jump intensity.Since the quadratic variation of Poisson process is [N,N]t=Nt, and Nt2-[N,N]t is a martingale, it follows that E[Nt2]=E[[N,N]t]=λ*t. On the other hand, the direct calculation of E[Nt2] can be found in https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Variance_of_Poisson_Distribution, which indicates E[Nt2]=(t*λ)2+t*λ. The two results are different. I really appreciate it if somebody can help me.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It would help to know the context of that calculation and the meaning of the individual symbols.

4. Jul 19, 2015 #3
    Nt is a Poisson process and λ is the jump intensity.Since the quadratic variation of Poisson process is [N,N]t=Nt, and Nt2-[N,N]t is a martingale, it follows that E[Nt2]=E[[N,N]t]=λ*t. On the other hand, the direct calculation of E[Nt2] can be found in https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Variance_of_Poisson_Distribution

5. Jul 19, 2015 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like someone has confused the second moment with the variance.

6. Jul 19, 2015 #5
    Hi dude, seems like you know the answer. Could you explain?

7. Jul 20, 2015 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

General formulas for a random variable X:
    second moment: [itex]E(X^2)[/itex]
    variance: [itex]E(X^2)-(E(X))^2[/itex]

8. Jul 20, 2015 #7
    Yeah, I know that. But my question is, why would I get two different results of E[Nt2] using two different methods?

9. Jul 21, 2015 #8

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess - a mistake in the derivation. [itex]E[N_t^2]=\lambda t[/itex] looks wrong (unless the mean=0). It is the variance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook