A question about second cycle studies

In summary, the individual is a high school student interested in studying applied physics but their desired university does not offer a program in this field. They are considering a first cycle program in either astronomy or physics and are wondering if they can pursue a master's in applied physics with an astronomy degree. The conversation also touches on the idea of double majoring and the importance of considering one's goals and desires when choosing a university program. The individual is still researching their options and appreciates the advice given.
CounterTA
Hello fellow science enthusiasts!

I have a question about second cycle studies. I'm in my last year of high school and I wish to study applied physics. However, my choice of university doesn't offer a programme in applied physics.

For a first cycle I can pick Physics, Astronomy or Physics Ed. I won't study Physics ed for sure, and my dilemma is between astronomy and physics. Why? Because I've already spent time studying astronomy, and it'll be easier for me. However, can I pursue a master's in applied physics with an astronomy degree?

The programmes in astronomy and physics are almost identical, with the exception of the Astronomy degree having Observational and Theoretical Astrophysics in the place of Quantum Mechanics and Solid State Physics in the third year.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the only difference is one class, why not take both classes and get a double major?

Likes CounterTA
CounterTA said:
I wish to study applied physics. However, my choice of university doesn't offer a programme in applied physics.

First, I want to highlight this part of your post. While I understand there can be reasons for attending specific universities (cost/scholarships, geographic limitations, family responsibilities, etc.), it's also important to think long and hard about what you want out of your education and whether the program that you're signing up for is going to give you that. If not, is it a good choice to attend this particular program in the first place?

That said, it's late in August and it's pretty much too late to enroll somewhere else anyway. Your first year is likely going to be identical anyway, so your choice between the two programs is more-or-less arbitrary at this point. (I'm assuming you're in North America somewhere, where it's easy to transfer between programs.)

As a general rule of thumb, it's preferable not to specialize too much too early. A physics major can generally get into astronomy or astrophysics graduate programs. An astronomy major who doesn't have an upper year course in quantum mechanics may have some trouble being accepted into some graduate programs because quantum is a core topic that's covered in comprehensive examinations.

Likes CounterTA
Dishsoap said:
If the only difference is one class, why not take both classes and get a double major?

I have little knowledge of how university works and I didn't know that this was an option. I'll do some research and if possible, it seems reasonable to accept it.
Choppy said:
First, I want to highlight this part of your post. While I understand there can be reasons for attending specific universities (cost/scholarships, geographic limitations, family responsibilities, etc.), it's also important to think long and hard about what you want out of your education and whether the program that you're signing up for is going to give you that. If not, is it a good choice to attend this particular program in the first place?

I am still thinking about it. It's the best university I have access to.

Choppy said:
That said, it's late in August and it's pretty much too late to enroll somewhere else anyway. Your first year is likely going to be identical anyway, so your choice between the two programs is more-or-less arbitrary at this point. (I'm assuming you're in North America somewhere, where it's easy to transfer between programs.)

I'm from a non-EU european country. And I haven't yet finished high school, but I wish to plan things ahead of time and not rush. I'm going to uni next year. The programme is mostly identical, with 3 subjects being the only difference, and I will have the ability to pick them as additional subjects.

Thank you, both of you, for helping me.

1. What are second cycle studies?

Second cycle studies refer to graduate-level programs, typically at the master's degree or doctoral level. These programs require a prior undergraduate degree as a prerequisite and generally involve more specialized and advanced coursework compared to first cycle studies (undergraduate programs).

2. What is the duration of second cycle studies?

The duration of second cycle studies can vary depending on the specific program and country. In general, master's degrees can take between 1-2 years to complete, while doctoral programs can take 3-6 years. Some programs may also offer part-time options, which can extend the duration of the studies.

3. What is the difference between a master's and a doctoral degree?

A master's degree is typically a shorter and more coursework-based program, while a doctoral degree involves more independent research and culminates in a dissertation. Doctoral degrees also tend to be more specialized and can lead to careers in academia or research, while master's degrees may lead to a wider range of career opportunities.

4. Are second cycle studies necessary for a successful career in science?

It depends on the specific field and career goals. In some areas, a bachelor's degree may be sufficient for entry-level positions, while other fields may require a master's or doctoral degree for more advanced roles. Additionally, second cycle studies can provide valuable skills and knowledge that can enhance career prospects.

5. Can I pursue second cycle studies in a different field than my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue second cycle studies in a different field than your undergraduate degree. However, some programs may have specific prerequisites or require additional coursework to ensure a strong foundation in the new field. It is important to carefully research and consult with advisors when considering a switch in fields for second cycle studies.