1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about Thomas Calculus book

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    Hello all,
    Soon I'm planning to restudy calculus to learn it to a better extend. Therefore, I'll start a course in coursera "Calculus-Single Variable" (https://www.coursera.org/course/calcsing), and besides that I already have the Thomas Calculus 10th edition so my plan is to study from this book either. However I'm curious about one thing. On this book, there are many chapters that are not being covered in the coursera course, such as "vectors in the plane and polar functions" or "vectors and motion in space". Are these chapters a part of multivariable calculus, or it's just Thomas Calculus is a more extensive book that covers lots of topics that are not covered in calculus.
    Thank you very much and have a great day.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Those topics are usually covered in a multivariable calculus course, so it's normal that the coursera course won't touch them.

4. May 12, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A typical "Calculus class" covers three to four semesters with multivariable Calculus the last one or two semesters. There are smaller texts that cover only one or two semester- but I personally think you can't do better than "Thomas".

5. May 16, 2014 #4
    Hello micromass and Hallsoflvy,
    Thank you very much for your answers. I got it now.
    I have an another question. Is Differential Equations course a part of Multivariable Calculus? Cause during my engineering studies we studied that course seperately. So were we implicitely further studying Multivariable Calculus?
    Thank you very much and have a great day!

6. May 16, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, differential equations is not a part of multivariable calculus. Ordinary differential equations like ##y^\prime = y## should actually be part of single variable calculus, but there is not enough time to cover that so it's a separate course. There are however techniques from multivariable calculus that come up in solving ODE's such as solving exact equations.
    Partial differential equations could be seen as an extension of multivariable calculus.

7. Jun 2, 2014 #6
    Dear all,
    Thank you very much for your all answers and enlightening me.
    One last question: After finishing Single Variable Calculus, I'd like to start on Multi Variable Calculus. Do you think Thomas Calculus 10th Edition will be enough for that? If I study this book all the way through, will I be able to master Multi Variable Calculus?
    Thanks a lot in advance!

8. Jun 7, 2014 #7
    No answer guys?

9. Jun 7, 2014 #8

verty

Homework Helper

The answer is, yes. You will want to be sure you can do the problems before moving on to each new chapter. I mean, don't skip topics because they'll be used later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted