A question concerning matrix norms

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kenleung5e28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
kenleung5e28
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I wonder given [tex]||Ax||_{a} = ||Bx||_{b}[/tex] for any [tex]x \in \mathbb{R}^n[/tex], is it true that [tex]||A||_{a} = ||B||_{b}[/tex], where [tex]||.||_{a}, ||.||_{b}[/tex] are two vector norms and the matrix norms are induced by the corresponding vector norms?

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Just write down the definition of ||A||_a and show that it's equal to ||B||_b.
 
The matrix norm induced by a vector norm [tex]||.||_a[/tex] is defined by
[tex]||A||_a = \sup_{x \neq 0} \frac{||Ax||_a}{||x||_a}[/tex]. In showing the equality of matrix norms under the condition I've posted last time, I don't know how to deal with the denominator appeared in the denominator inside the supremum as [tex]||x||_a[/tex] and [tex]||x||_b[/tex] may be of different values.
 
Last edited: