Question about induced matrix norm

In summary: Oh I see. I disregarded the fact that Ax = 0 for ##\textbf{ALL}## ## x \neq 0##In summary, the induced matrix norm for a square matrix is defined as:sup = supremumA vector norm, Ax is satisfied.
charlies1902
The induced matrix norm for a square matrix ##A## is defined as:

##\lVert A \rVert= sup\frac{\lVert Ax \rVert}{\lVert x \rVert}##
where ##\lVert x \rVert## is a vector norm.
sup = supremum

My question is: is the numerator ##\lVert Ax \rVert## a vector norm?

Physics news on Phys.org
charlies1902 said:
The induced matrix norm for a square matrix ##A## is defined as:

##\lVert A \rVert= sup\frac{\lVert Ax \rVert}{\lVert x \rVert}##
where ##\lVert x \rVert## is a vector norm.
sup = supremum

My question is: is the numerator ##\lVert Ax \rVert## a vector norm?
The same as in the denominator.

The denominator is a vector norm, so are we saying that the numerator is a vector norm for all square A matrices?

charlies1902 said:
The denominator is a vector norm, so are we saying that the numerator is a vector norm for all square A matrices?
##Ax## is a vector, so ##||Ax||## is a vector norm. It makes sense to choose the same.

Likes pyroknife
fresh_42 said:
##Ax## is a vector, so ##||Ax||## is a vector norm. It makes sense to choose the same.
Is this norm defined only for non-singular matrix A?

pyroknife said:
Is this norm defined only for non-singular matrix A?
It's defined for the whole vector space of linear transformations. It has to satisfy ##||A|| = 0 ⇒ A = 0##. It can't be more singular.

Likes pyroknife
fresh_42 said:
It's defined for the whole vector space of linear transformations. It has to satisfy ##||A|| = 0 ⇒ A = 0##. It can't be more singular.
I see. I have a task to prove that the norm defined by the OP is indeed a norm. In your post (the quoted), that is one of the conditions, but I am not given if A is singular/nonsingular, so essentially I have to prove that A can't be singular in order for this to satisfy the criterion of a norm.

Is this an alternative explanation why A cannot be singular?

The singularity, defect or rank have nothing to do with the defined norm to be one. The linear transformations may not even to be between vector spaces of the same dimension.
To start with: What do you know about your vector norm?

Likes pyroknife
fresh_42 said:
The singularity, defect or rank have nothing to do with the defined norm to be one. The linear transformations may not even to be between vector spaces of the same dimension.
To start with: What do you know about your vector norm?
I know that a vector norm has to satisfy the 3 criteria:
##\lVert x \rVert \geq 0##
##\lVert x \rVert \geq 0## = 0 IFF x = 0

##\lVert constant*x \rVert = \mid constant \mid * \lVert x \rVert##

##\lVert x+y \rVert \leq \lVert x \rVert+ \lVert y \rVert##

So ##||Ax|| = 0## implies what for which ##x##? Similar the linearity. For the triangle inequality pull the factor ##||x||^{-1}## into the numerator.

Likes pyroknife
fresh_42 said:
So ##||Ax|| = 0## implies what for which ##x##? Similar the linearity. For the triangle inequality pull the factor ##||x||^{-1}## into the numerator.
Well the induced matrix norm is defined for ##x \neq 0##,
so ##x## can be any vector other than the zero vector.

But what if you have the matrix
A = \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0\\
\end{bmatrix}

and

x = \begin{bmatrix}
1\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}

Here we can see that A is singular, but Ax = 0, so the vector norm of Ax is satisfied, but A is not the zero matrix?

pyroknife said:
Well the induced matrix norm is defined for ##x \neq 0##,
so ##x## can be any vector other than the zero vector.

But what if you have the matrix
A = \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0\\
\end{bmatrix}

and

x = \begin{bmatrix}
1\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}

Here we can see that A is singular, but Ax = 0, so the vector norm of Ax is satisfied, but A is not the zero matrix?
However, it's not the maximum / supremum choice for ##x##.
If the maximum is zero, then all are. The 'iff' condition on vector norms gives you ##Ax = 0## for all ##x ≠ 0##. For ##x=0## it's clearly also true. So ##A## has to be?

Likes pyroknife
fresh_42 said:
However, it's not the maximum / supremum choice for ##x##.
If the maximum is zero, then all are. The 'iff' condition on vector norms gives you ##Ax = 0## for all ##x ≠ 0##. For ##x=0## it's clearly also true. So ##A## has to be?
Oh I see. I disregarded the fact that Ax = 0 for ##\textbf{ALL}## ## x \neq 0##
In order to satisfy Ax=0 for all non-trivial x, A must be zero.
Right?

Yes. That's the definition of the zero map. For the scalars you use the next condition for vector norms. For the triangle inequality the third.

Likes pyroknife
For the triangle inequality you don't have to pull the ##||x^{-1}||## into the numerator. I first thought it would be easier but it makes no difference.

1. What is an induced matrix norm?

An induced matrix norm is a way of measuring the size or magnitude of a matrix. It is defined as the maximum ratio between the norm of the matrix and the norm of a vector multiplied by the matrix. In simpler terms, it represents the largest possible change in a vector when multiplied by the matrix.

2. How is an induced matrix norm calculated?

An induced matrix norm is calculated by finding the maximum value of the norm of the matrix times a vector divided by the norm of the vector. This is also known as the operator norm or matrix norm. The specific method of calculation may vary depending on the type of induced matrix norm being used.

3. What is the difference between an induced matrix norm and a regular matrix norm?

An induced matrix norm is specific to a particular vector space and is defined by a norm on that space. This means that the induced matrix norm may vary depending on the chosen vector norm. In contrast, a regular matrix norm is defined independently of the vector space and is not necessarily related to any specific vector norm.

4. Why are induced matrix norms useful?

Induced matrix norms are useful because they provide a way to measure the magnitude of a matrix and can be used to compare different matrices. They are also important in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as linear algebra, functional analysis, and numerical analysis.

5. What are some common types of induced matrix norms?

Some common types of induced matrix norms include the spectral norm, Frobenius norm, and operator norm. The spectral norm, also known as the 2-norm, is defined using the singular values of the matrix. The Frobenius norm is based on the elements of the matrix and is often used in signal processing and image processing. The operator norm, also known as the 1-norm, is defined using the maximum absolute column sum of the matrix.