A Question of Cloning and Resurrection.

  • Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
  • #26
3,762
2
Originally posted by Zantra
I think it would be something like waking up. Of course that would include the memory of being cloned, unless you could somehow wipe that out, so you would know that you weren't the original. However, if you could wipe that part of the memories out, then I suppose it would be as if waking up from a dream, and you would continue on. But then the question remains, at what age is the clone? Obviously you have to make him younger, so would he realize the inconrgruity of the age and the experiences? It's hard to say.
Ah but you split into two different forms of reference, and at just the right points to leave me just as confused as I was! First you say that it would be much like I was waking back up. But then, when you talk about the clone's being younger, you start referring to the clone as "him" instead of "me".
 
  • #27
740
3
Originally posted by Mentat
Ah but you split into two different forms of reference, and at just the right points to leave me just as confused as I was! First you say that it would be much like I was waking back up. But then, when you talk about the clone's being younger, you start referring to the clone as "him" instead of "me".
All of my references are from the point of the clone. He would wake up, as if from a dream, having had all the memories of the original(ie you) copied over, hopefully with the exception of the memory of the clone.

That make sense /
 
  • #28
Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
976
3
Originally posted by Mentat
what about when I'm clone after I have died? Would I "wake up", and continue living, or would someone else "wake up" and continue living, with the firm conviction that he was me?
Do you still need to ask this? The clone would wake up with the firm conviction that it is you, and it would 'essentially' be correct. But 'You' would be dead.


Even in spite of the fact that we have many selves within our brain (as has been shown by Dennett's model of consciousness)
Ummmm...dennets theory of consciousness is just as contended as the other thousand theories out there...so I wouldn't say any such thing was 'shown'
 
  • #29
73
0
Nothing is absolute in this universe. So the memory of the person could not be absolutely copied and transfered to the clone man. Remember my words: nothing is absolute... ...
 
  • #30
3,762
2
Originally posted by Another God
Do you still need to ask this? The clone would wake up with the firm conviction that it is you, and it would 'essentially' be correct. But 'You' would be dead.
Well, that's one answer. However, Dennett's theory (and I know it's not the only one (or even, necessarily, the best one) out there) allows for the reproduction of "You", when the information is copied. After all, your body continues to change (old cells dying and new cells taking their place), but your conscious illusion of "self" continues, because the same program is being replicated in the brain.

Ummmm...Dennet's theory of consciousness is just as contended as the other thousand theories out there...so I wouldn't say any such thing was 'shown'
True enough, though his is the only theory I've seen (so far) that doesn't fall into the Cartesian trap.
 
  • #31
3,762
2
Originally posted by physicskid
Nothing is absolute in this universe. So the memory of the person could not be absolutely copied and transfered to the clone man. Remember my words: nothing is absolute... ...
You're right, nothing is absolute, but that includes the program of "self" within your own brain. Think about it.
 

Related Threads on A Question of Cloning and Resurrection.

Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
25
Views
3K
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
15
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
24K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
15K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
942
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
43
Views
6K
Top