A question of inherited velocity

• Thread starter mkillman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: If anybody could point me at some refrence material so I can make a valid argument aginst their physics model that would be great You can look at this video from Mythbusters to see how the bullet trajectory is affected by the Magnus effect.
mkillman
I'm playing a rather popular online fps type game that is extremely fast paced so your character is capable of moving at speeds in excess of 200kph.

The question I have:

Say I'm flying at 100kph in midair and i turn 90 degrees to my left and fire a shot.
how much of my vector and velocity will be transferred to the projectile and how will it effect its trajectory?

I know that its possible to cancel out the forces if you could fire the bullet directly 180 degrees off your vector and at the same speed <saw that episode of mythbusters>

If anybody could point me at some refrence material so I can make a valid argument aginst their physics model that would be great

Thanks
Mkillman

Physics news on Phys.org
mkillman said:
I'm playing a rather popular online fps type game that is extremely fast paced so your character is capable of moving at speeds in excess of 200kph.

The question I have:

Say I'm flying at 100kph in midair and i turn 90 degrees to my left and fire a shot.
how much of my vector and velocity will be transferred to the projectile and how will it effect its trajectory?
Velocities are vectors. You use vector addition to get the initial velocity of the bullet:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Vector_addition2.svg

a : your velocity relative to ground
b : initial bullet velocity relative to you
a+b : initial bullet velocity relative to ground

mkillman said:
I know that its possible to cancel out the forces if you could fire the bullet directly 180 degrees off your vector and at the same speed <saw that episode of mythbusters>
You don't cancel out forces. But you can cancel out the bullets velocity component parallel to your flight path, so it goes 90° to your path in the ground frame. To do this you aim b backwards at an angle, so that a+b is perpendicular to a. Keep in mind that the length of b is multiple times that of a for a normal bullet and the speeds you mentioned.

do you think the magnus effect will play any role in the trajectory of the shot? Assuming its a rifled bullet

1. What is "A question of inherited velocity" about?

"A question of inherited velocity" is a scientific concept that refers to the idea that the velocity of an object can be inherited from its parent object. This means that the speed and direction of an object can be influenced by the motion of its parent object.

2. How does inherited velocity work?

Inherited velocity works through the principle of conservation of momentum. This means that when two objects collide, the total momentum of the system remains constant. In the case of inherited velocity, the momentum of the parent object is transferred to the child object, resulting in a change in the child's velocity.

3. What are some examples of inherited velocity?

One example of inherited velocity is the motion of planets around the sun. The planets inherit their velocity from the sun's rotation and revolution. Another example is the motion of a satellite around the Earth, where the satellite inherits its velocity from the Earth's rotation and orbit around the sun.

4. How is inherited velocity different from inherited traits?

Inherited velocity refers to the transfer of momentum from one object to another, while inherited traits refer to the passing of genetic characteristics from one generation to the next. Inherited velocity is a physical concept, while inherited traits are biological.

5. Why is the concept of inherited velocity important?

The concept of inherited velocity is important in understanding the motion of objects in our universe. It helps explain various phenomena, such as the orbits of planets and the behavior of particles in collisions. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy and engineering.