A question on percentage uncertainty

• Thread starter Mr Bob555
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the conversation discusses using a graphical method to find the percentage uncertainty of C in the equation D2 = C x N, where C = A2. The value of C is determined to be 25%, and the question asks for the percentage uncertainty of A. The conversation also mentions a question from an A-level paper and a discussion on propagating errors in the form of z = x^a. The question is asked about the rule for propagating errors on a power.
Mr Bob555

Homework Statement

Say we have the equation D2 = C x N where C = A2.
Using a graphical method to find the % uncertainty of C (from graph of D2 against N) which involves working out the gradient which equals C and so forth. This value is 25%.
The question is "what is the percentage uncertainty of A?"

This is actually a question that appeared in an A-level paper i did today and it was the only one that really bamboozled me :confused:.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize you don't divide by two;my reasoning being that when asked to calculate the % uncertainty of r in say the equation V = 4/3 x π x r3 the question doesn't explicitly state r3.

So i think that it is between doubling 25% or just leaving it. Now i think it was the latter but in the exam I did indeed double it to 50%.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are propagating errors of form ##z=x^a## knowing ##x\pm xp_x/100## where ##p_x## is the known percentage error.
So what is the rule for propagating the error on a power?

Simon Bridge said:
You are propagating errors of form ##z=x^a## knowing ##x\pm xp_x/100## where ##p_x## is the known percentage error.
So what is the rule for propagating the error on a power?
Multiply the percentage uncertainty by whatever the variable is to the order of?

Anyone else?

What's wrong with the reply you got so far?

1. What is percentage uncertainty?

Percentage uncertainty is a measure of the potential error or variation in a measurement or calculation. It is expressed as a percentage of the value being measured.

2. How is percentage uncertainty calculated?

Percentage uncertainty is calculated by dividing the absolute uncertainty by the measured value, and then multiplying by 100 to convert it to a percentage.

3. Why is percentage uncertainty important?

Percentage uncertainty is important because it helps us understand the accuracy and reliability of a measurement or calculation. It also allows us to compare the uncertainty of different values and determine the impact of uncertainty on our results.

4. How does random error affect percentage uncertainty?

Random error is one source of uncertainty and can increase the overall percentage uncertainty of a measurement or calculation. This is because random error introduces variability and can cause the measured value to deviate from the true value.

5. Can percentage uncertainty be reduced?

Percentage uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise instruments, taking multiple measurements, and minimizing sources of error. However, it can never be completely eliminated as it is inherent in all measurements and calculations.