1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question on Semantics Regarding Group Theory

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the set of a single element {e} with the multiplication law ee = e a group?

2. Relevant equations
    none.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Yes, it is a group. But that is not my question. My question is how do you ask the question? If I were face to face with you and wanted to ask you the question, would I say, "Is the set of a single element e with the multiplication law e multiplied by ANOTHER e (another element in the group) equivalent to the identity element?"

Also, if I am wrong about it being a group...who cares. If I get the semantics down first, I will better understand what the problem is asking.

Thanks everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2
    Hi Mindstein.
    I am not sure I get your question.
    {e} is a group (for say, multiplication) IF e is the neutral element (or identity).
    for any group whose neutral element is e, {e} is (with the group itself) the trivial subgroup.
    What do you mean 'another e' ?
    If you are thinking that you can take any element of the original group and take put it in a sngleton and wonder if this singleton is also a group, than the answer is no. it's only valid for e.
    for instance, take (N, +), 0 is its 'e', so {0} is a group, but {1} is not since 1+1 does not belong to {1}
    sorry if I didn't get your question

cheers...

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Mindstein! :smile:
    Yes.

If you're worried that you can't pick two e's in S, it doesn't matter …

the law about multiplication is defined on S x S, not on S itself (where S is the set),

and (e,e) is an element of S x S :wink:

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    Thanks tiny-tim and oli4, you all sure do know how to get a brother past his problems!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook