A Question on Semantics Regarding Group Theory

In summary, the answer is yes, {e} is a group, but it's not my question. My question is how do you ask the question? If I were face to face with you and wanted to ask you the question, would I say, "Is the set of a single element e with the multiplication law e multiplied by ANOTHER e (another element in the group) equivalent to the identity element?"
Mindstein

Homework Statement

Is the set of a single element {e} with the multiplication law ee = e a group?

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, it is a group. But that is not my question. My question is how do you ask the question? If I were face to face with you and wanted to ask you the question, would I say, "Is the set of a single element e with the multiplication law e multiplied by ANOTHER e (another element in the group) equivalent to the identity element?"

Also, if I am wrong about it being a group...who cares. If I get the semantics down first, I will better understand what the problem is asking.

Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mindstein.
I am not sure I get your question.
{e} is a group (for say, multiplication) IF e is the neutral element (or identity).
for any group whose neutral element is e, {e} is (with the group itself) the trivial subgroup.
What do you mean 'another e' ?
If you are thinking that you can take any element of the original group and take put it in a sngleton and wonder if this singleton is also a group, than the answer is no. it's only valid for e.
for instance, take (N, +), 0 is its 'e', so {0} is a group, but {1} is not since 1+1 does not belong to {1}
sorry if I didn't get your question

cheers...

Hi Mindstein! :smile:
Mindstein said:
Is the set of a single element {e} with the multiplication law ee = e a group?

Yes.

If you're worried that you can't pick two e's in S, it doesn't matter …

the law about multiplication is defined on S x S, not on S itself (where S is the set),

and (e,e) is an element of S x S :wink:

Thanks tiny-tim and oli4, you all sure do know how to get a brother past his problems!

I appreciate your attention to detail and clarity in asking the question. To answer your first question, you could ask, "Is the set containing only the identity element, with the operation defined as e multiplied by another element in the set, a group?" This phrasing makes it clear that the operation is defined within the set itself.

In terms of whether this set is a group or not, it depends on the definition of a group you are using. Some definitions require a group to have at least two elements, while others allow for a single element group. However, in this case, since the operation is defined as e multiplied by another element in the set, it is not a valid group according to the standard definition. This is because for a group, the operation must be closed, meaning that the result of the operation must always be within the set. In this case, the result of e multiplied by another element (since e is the only element) would not be within the set, as it would be a different element.

I hope this helps clarify the semantics and the mathematical concept in question. It is always important to understand the context and definitions when approaching a problem in science.

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structure of groups. A group is a set of elements that can be combined together using a binary operation, such as addition or multiplication. Group theory is used in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and computer science.

2. What is the importance of group theory?

Group theory has many applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as crystallography, quantum mechanics, cryptography, and coding theory. It provides a framework for understanding the underlying structure and patterns in these systems, and allows for the prediction and analysis of their behavior.

3. What is the difference between a group and a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that satisfies all the properties of a group. It is a smaller group within a larger group. In other words, a subgroup is a group within a group. Every group has at least two subgroups - the trivial subgroup, which contains only the identity element, and the group itself.

4. What are the basic properties of a group?

The basic properties of a group are closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. Closure means that the result of combining any two elements in the group is another element in the group. Associativity means that the order in which the operations are performed does not matter. Identity means that there is an element in the group that, when combined with any other element, results in that same element. Invertibility means that every element in the group has an inverse element that, when combined, gives the identity element.

5. How is group theory related to symmetry?

Group theory is closely related to symmetry because symmetries can be represented as groups. The elements of a group can be thought of as transformations that preserve the structure of an object. For example, the symmetries of a square can be represented as a group of four elements - rotations by 90, 180, and 270 degrees, and reflections across the vertical and horizontal axes. Group theory allows for the classification and understanding of different types of symmetries and their properties.