1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question regarding grad school resume & essay

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I've recently applied for 2 Medical Physics graduate schools (MS). Shortly thereafter I realized a few minor problems with my application.
    I've noticed 2 one-letter typos in my essay, both were caused by changing the noun from singular to plural and not removing the -s after the verbs. Should I be worried much about this?
    And, I noticed that on my resume, I forgot to put in the list of major-related softwares I have experienced. (Matlab, Stella 9, CrystalBall). Do you think not having this information on the resume will impact negatively?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can ask the admissions office if they will allow updates. More than likely they will say "no."

It is always better if your materials are "perfect", but I wouldn't worry too much about these whoopsies.

4. Feb 2, 2015 #3
    If it makes you feel better, my boyfriend misspelled "Princeton" on his statement of purpose for that school. Every single time.

Really though, of all the things that they have to consider you for a graduate position, I really doubt they care that much.

5. Feb 3, 2015 #4
    I wouldn't worry. They might not even notice unless the typo is misplacing the spacebar in a phrase such as "pen island"

6. Feb 5, 2015 #5

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh heh. Pen island. Heh heh.

There is actually a place called East Pen Island in Hudson's Bay. It's so small that it isn't visible in Google satellite view.

But seriously, there is nothing you can do about it now. So worry is wasted. You should polish your application and send it along to a couple more schools, in case.

7. Feb 24, 2015 #6
    They said no.. but I guess it's okay :D

8. Feb 24, 2015 #7

I guess you are right. It seems the small errors are okay.. I think I should stop worrying too much about small details but oh well :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook