1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School Resume - Include Poster Sessions?

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am applying to graduate schools in physics, applied physics, and engineering. On my resume, I would like to know if people feel I should include summer research (REU,SULI) presentations, and poster sessions I have attended. The most important poster session would be one for the APS Division of nuclear physics meeting that I was selected to attend.

Does anyone feel this would just be a waste of space on the resume?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2
    No way. That sounds like good stuff.

4. Nov 13, 2013 #3
    Ok thanks. I just didn't know if that kind of stuff was worth anything. I'll at least include the selective one.

5. Nov 13, 2013 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Remember you're not submitting a "resume" as you would for a job. You're submitting a "curriculum vitae" which is an academic resume. These need not be trunctated to two pages and are meant to be a record of the relevant academic work that you've done.

Poster presentations are a critical component of this, partcularly for undergraduates trying to get into graduate school who are unlikely to have many (if any) publications under their belts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook