A question regarding grad school resume & essay

In summary, the conversation was about the person's concerns regarding minor errors in their graduate school application. They noticed two typos in their essay and omitted software experience on their resume. They were worried about the impact of these mistakes on their application, but were reassured that it was not a major concern. Ultimately, it was suggested that they focus on polishing their application and apply to other schools as well.
pdm0118
Hello,

I've recently applied for 2 Medical Physics graduate schools (MS). Shortly thereafter I realized a few minor problems with my application.
I've noticed 2 one-letter typos in my essay, both were caused by changing the noun from singular to plural and not removing the -s after the verbs. Should I be worried much about this?
And, I noticed that on my resume, I forgot to put in the list of major-related softwares I have experienced. (Matlab, Stella 9, CrystalBall). Do you think not having this information on the resume will impact negatively? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
pdm0118 said:
Hello,

I've recently applied for 2 Medical Physics graduate schools (MS). Shortly thereafter I realized a few minor problems with my application.
I've noticed 2 one-letter typos in my essay, both were caused by changing the noun from singular to plural and not removing the -s after the verbs. Should I be worried much about this?
And, I noticed that on my resume, I forgot to put in the list of major-related softwares I have experienced. (Matlab, Stella 9, CrystalBall). Do you think not having this information on the resume will impact negatively?

Thank you.

You can ask the admissions office if they will allow updates. More than likely they will say "no."

It is always better if your materials are "perfect", but I wouldn't worry too much about these whoopsies.

If it makes you feel better, my boyfriend misspelled "Princeton" on his statement of purpose for that school. Every single time.

Really though, of all the things that they have to consider you for a graduate position, I really doubt they care that much.

I wouldn't worry. They might not even notice unless the typo is misplacing the spacebar in a phrase such as "pen island"

Likes DEvens
Heh heh. Pen island. Heh heh.

There is actually a place called East Pen Island in Hudson's Bay. It's so small that it isn't visible in Google satellite view.

But seriously, there is nothing you can do about it now. So worry is wasted. You should polish your application and send it along to a couple more schools, in case.

Quantum Defect said:
You can ask the admissions office if they will allow updates. More than likely they will say "no."

It is always better if your materials are "perfect", but I wouldn't worry too much about these whoopsies.

They said no.. but I guess it's okay :D

samnorris93 said:
If it makes you feel better, my boyfriend misspelled "Princeton" on his statement of purpose for that school. Every single time.

Really though, of all the things that they have to consider you for a graduate position, I really doubt they care that much.

Mmm_Pasta said:
I wouldn't worry. They might not even notice unless the typo is misplacing the spacebar in a phrase such as "pen island"

DEvens said:
Heh heh. Pen island. Heh heh.

There is actually a place called East Pen Island in Hudson's Bay. It's so small that it isn't visible in Google satellite view.

But seriously, there is nothing you can do about it now. So worry is wasted. You should polish your application and send it along to a couple more schools, in case.
I guess you are right. It seems the small errors are okay.. I think I should stop worrying too much about small details but oh well :D

1. What should I include in my grad school resume?

Your grad school resume should include your educational background, research experience, publications or presentations, relevant work experience, and any relevant skills or certifications. It should also highlight any leadership roles, awards, or extracurricular activities that demonstrate your commitment and potential for graduate studies.

2. How long should my grad school essay be?

The length of your grad school essay will vary depending on the specific requirements of the program. Some programs may have a specific word or page limit, while others may have more open-ended prompts. It is important to check the application guidelines and follow them closely. In general, your essay should be long enough to effectively convey your ideas and experiences, but not so long that it becomes repetitive or loses the reader's attention.

3. What should I focus on in my grad school essay?

Your grad school essay should focus on your academic and research interests, as well as your motivations for pursuing graduate studies. It should also highlight any relevant experiences or achievements that demonstrate your readiness for the program. It is important to be genuine and specific in your writing, and to tailor your essay to each individual program you are applying to.

4. How important is my grad school resume and essay in the admissions process?

While your grad school resume and essay are important components of your application, they are not the only factors that admissions committees consider. Your grades, test scores, letters of recommendation, and other materials will also be taken into account. However, your resume and essay provide an opportunity for you to showcase your unique strengths and experiences, and can make a significant impact on the admissions decision.

5. Should I include any personal information in my grad school essay?

It is generally not recommended to include personal information, such as family background or personal struggles, in your grad school essay unless it is directly relevant to your academic or career goals. Instead, focus on highlighting your academic achievements, research interests, and motivation for pursuing graduate studies. If you do choose to share personal information, make sure it is done in a professional and appropriate manner.