1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive Decay - working out activity

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If you have 500g of Thorium-234 at t=0. Calculate the initial activity and the activity after 2 weeks. The half life of thorium-234 is 24 days.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]A=A_0e^{-\lambda t} \\
    A_0=\lambda N_0 \\
    \lambda=\frac{ln2}{t_{\frac{1}{2}}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the intial activity I first found lambda by converting 24 days into seconds.

[itex]
    \lambda=\frac{ln2}{60 \times 60 \times 24 \times 24}=\frac{ln2}{2073600}=3.34 \times 10^{-7} \\[/itex]

Then used the second relevant equation listed above by calculating N_0 with the known data (converting to number of moles and then times by Avogadros number).
    [itex]
    A_0=\lambda N_0=(3.34 \times 10^{-7})(\frac{500}{234})(6.02 \times 10^{23})=4.29 \times 10^{17} Bq
    [/itex]

Then after knowing A_0 i can calculate the activity after 2 weeks, with the first relevant equation listed but converting 2 weeks into seconds.
    [itex]
    A=A_0e^{-\lambda t}=(4.29 \times 10^{17})e^{(3.34 \times 10^{-7})(1209600)}=2.86 \times 10^{17} Bq
    [/itex]

My problem is with my answers, they seem way way too high. I was told in a lecture it is very unusual to ever go above a micro Bq.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Haven't checked the math, but I think you have it the other way around, a Bq is a very small unit of radioactivity. It's true that background counts should be less than a Bq, but when you're talking about radioisotopes, you're definitely talking about much more than a Bq.

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3
    Right, that could be it. He was talking about a unit called the curie too at the same time but didnt quite understand what he said as he went over it very quickly but from what he said I got the impression that 1Bq=1Cu but that they usually say Bq these days.

It may be that they are not equal and that he meant that its unusual to ever get a reading of over 1Cu and not 1Bq.

5. Apr 3, 2014 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

A Cu is a MUCH bigger unit than a Bq.

27pCu (that's picoCurie)= 1Bq

6. Apr 3, 2014 #5
    That makes sense then and why my answers are so high, I was getting Bq and Cu mixed up. Do you think my answers are correct?

7. Apr 3, 2014 #6

lightgrav

Homework Helper

yes, they sound ok ... if you would ever have 500 grams of 234Th!
    (why do you use "Bq" if it is confusing, rather than the straightforward "decay/sec")

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted