Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ranking of college majors by IQ score

Tags:
  1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    I saw a similar study by Yale psychologists, the results were roughly the same (they were mostly 1 or 2 points higher in most categories).

http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estimates-by-intended-college-major/

Legally "mentally handicapped" person's IQ < 70
    Average IQ = 100 by definition

I don't like the concept of IQ's, and think they are just something for pretentious folk to throw around to justify they are more intelligent than the average population. The idea of MENSA is a bit sickening to me, but I thought someone else might like to see the results.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Well, Mensa is a joke for stuck-up [jerks]. I know 3 people who brag about belonging to it, and they're all stupid compared to the mechanics, drywallers, and farmers that I hang out with.
    None of those scores in your link are close to the one that I got, and I was drunk out of my mind when I took the test. (Of course, I'm on my 14th beer of the day right now and feel sober, so that's just a matter of my own opinion.) I also never finished high-school.
    As Evo pointed out years ago, the only thing that IQ tests measure is one's ability to take IQ tests.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  4. Aug 1, 2012 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Philosophy beat math....micromass isn't going to like this =p

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

*Points ban gun at wbn*

6. Aug 1, 2012 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

get at me bro

7. Aug 1, 2012 #6
    What's "Mathematical Sciences"?

8. Aug 1, 2012 #7
    I'm not sure how the two things have been measured here, but there appears to be an almost perfect correlation between the SAT score and the IQ score. So, if IQ can be used to very accurately predict your SAT score, then it can most certainly be used to accurately predict other similar challenges you might encounter also, for example, how well you would perform at working with your mind, like in science. I agree that it may not be the only important thing for doing e.g. science but IQ should certainly be one important part of it, and so not a useless metric.

9. Aug 1, 2012 #8
    That's got to be a misprint. It's surely 29, not 129.

10. Aug 1, 2012 #9

Danger

Gold Member

The problem is that SAT scores reflect education, not intelligence. And unless things have changed drastically in the past couple of decades, almost all IQ tests are guilty of that as well as being culturally biased. For instance, Japanese children consistently scored higher on the same test than North American ones because of their learning ethic and pattern-recognition abilities heightened by the artistic nature of their culture. Something as simple as economics can affect it as well. A kid from someplace like inner-city New York who can't afford proper nutrition and books could end up scoring lower than someone a lot dumber who is rich enough to go to a fancy school and eat properly.

11. Aug 1, 2012 #10
    Maybe this was supposed to be obvious or assumed, but it says majors, not graduates. Which to me implies current students, even at the 1st year level. Is that true, or was this a sample of graduates?

A lot of naive people bite off more than they can chew, only to drop out or switch majors later on. I usually saw people switching from engineering/science to business/education/humanities after 1-2 years, not the other way around. So, if they are sampling graduates or last year majors or all majors, the results will each be different I'd guess. I am suspicious that so many subjects have very close IQ values even though they vary greatly in difficulty, so I don't think that the implied generalization that "X majors are smarter" can be made.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  12. Aug 1, 2012 #11
    So the moral of the story is that Physics majors are the smartest people in the world, thanks for clarifying what we already knew! :wink:

13. Aug 1, 2012 #12

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, my wife has Master's degrees both in Physics and in Materials Engineering (1 and 4 in the table). No wonder I lose all the arguments. :rolleyes:

14. Aug 1, 2012 #13
    lol, you actually think a man can win an argument with his wife?

15. Aug 1, 2012 #14

Danger

Gold Member

I can say from experience that no matter how incredibly brainless that wife might be, the answer is "no". :grumpy:

Obviously not applicable to Mrs. Jones.

16. Aug 1, 2012 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please! This is a no-brainer. I know how to win every single argument with your wife.

Just admit that you're wrong! Leaves 'em speachless every time. Here is what you say. "Yes dear. You're right. I'm wrong. I'm slime."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  17. Aug 2, 2012 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Thats okay for you, because your wife is worth keeping. I'm more than happy to be rid of mine.

18. Aug 2, 2012 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't matter. It is still the best answer for all situations.

ARE you actually wrong? Don't matter. You lose if you win and you lose if you lose, so the only way to win is to concede. It is all perfectly logical. :biggrin:

19. Aug 2, 2012 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Only if you want to keep her.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook