1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Real Analysis question on anti-derivatives

1. May 20, 2012 #1
    Let f : R to R be a continuous function, and assume anti-derivative of f(x)dx from m to n≤ (n-m)^2 for every closed bounded interval [m,n] in R. Prove that f(x) = 0 for all x in R.

I tried using fundamental theorem of calculus but got stuck.

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2
    Edit:

I think you mean ##\int_m^nf(x)dx\leq(n-m)^2##. Again, definite integrals are not the same as antiderivatives.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  4. May 20, 2012 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand what you mean by "assume anti-derivative" or "f(x)dx from m to n≤ (n-m)^2".

5. May 20, 2012 #4
    I am sorry. Here is the exact question:

Let f : R to R be a continuous function, and suppose that definite integral from m to n |∫(m to n)f(x)dx|≤(n-m)^2 for every closed bounded interval [m, n] in R. Then is it the case that f(x) = 0 for all x in R?

6. May 20, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: mean-value theorem.

RGV

7. May 20, 2012 #6
    So after using Mean Value theorem and FUndamental theorem of Calc, I got to a point where F'(c)=f(c) ≤ m - n. BUt this still doesn't seem to work enough.
    Is there anything crucial that I am missing?

Thanks!

8. May 20, 2012 #7
    I think he meant Mean Value Theorem for integrals:

If ##f## is continuous on ##[a,b]##, then there is ##c\in(a,b)## with ##\int_a^bf(x)dx=f(c)(b-a)##.

Given the FTC, it's just a rewrite of the "regular" mean value theorem.

The key here is to apply this to your problem, with the assumptions given, and notice what the implications are when ##n-m## is very small.

9. May 20, 2012 #8
    Do you think I should go by contradiction instead? coz I am not really figuring out how to use this assumption here.
    Some elaboration would really help!

10. May 20, 2012 #9
    Yes, I think it would be easiest to assume that ##f\neq0## and show that this gives a contradiction.

Supposing that ##f\neq0## gives that there exists ##x_0## such that ...

Since ##f## is continuous, there is ##\delta>0## such that ... on ##(x_0-\delta,x_0+\delta)##.

Then there is ##c\in(x_0-\delta,x_0+\delta)## such that ##\left|\int_{x_0-\delta}^{x_0+\delta}f(x)dx\right|=\left|f(c)\right|\cdot 2\delta>## ..., contradicting the assumption that ##\left|\int_{x_0-\delta}^{x_0+\delta}f(x)dx\right|\leq##... .

Now you may need to fidget a bit with the ##\delta## to get the inequalities that you need, but the direction that you need to fidget is a "good" one.

There is a fairly straightforward way to get around using the Mean Value Theorem. However it requires you to identify that you are in a situation where ##\left|\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx\right|=\int_{a}^{b} \left| f(x) \right|dx## (i.e. the triangle inequality is actually an equality).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook