A rotating disk with two attached masses that slide without friction

In summary, the conversation discussed how to find the radial acceleration of mass Ma immediately after the catch is removed on a rotating disk, taking into account the centripetal forces and tensions acting on both masses. The final solution was determined to be [(Mb/Ma)*(Ra-L)*w^2)+Ra*w^2] / (1+(Mb/Ma)= r''_a, where w is the angular velocity of the disk, Ma and Mb are the masses, L is the length of the string, and Ra is the distance of mass Ma from the center of the disk.
cacofolius

Homework Statement

A disk rotates with angular velocity w. Two masses, Ma and Mb, slide without friction in a groove passing through the cnter of the disk. They are connected by a light string of length L, and are initially held in position by a catch, with mass Ma at distance Ra from the center. Neglect gravity. At t=0 the catch is removed and the masses are free to slide. Find r''_a immediately after the catch is removed in terms of Ma, Mb, L, Ra, and w.

Homework Equations

a=(r''-rw^2)êr + (rθ''+2r'we) êθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that immediately after the catch is removed Ma only experiences a centripetal tension that must be equal to the one Mb is experiencing. So we'll have

Mb*r''_b=Ma*r''_a

Mb*r''_b=Mb*(w^2*Rb) = Mb*w^2*(L-Ra)

Ma*r''_a = Mb*w^2*(L-Ra) → r''_a= w^2*(L-Ra)*(Mb/Ma)

I would like to know if this is correct, or if I'm missing something (or everything!).

Attachments

• rotating disk.jpg
    rotating disk.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 746
Physics news on Phys.org
cacofolius said:
I figured that immediately after the catch is removed Ma only experiences a centripetal tension that must be equal to the one Mb is experiencing.
That sounds right.
So we'll have

Mb*r''_b=Ma*r''_a

Mb*r''_b=Mb*(w^2*Rb) = Mb*w^2*(L-Ra)

What's the reasoning behind these two equations? I don't think they're correct.

[EDIT: By the way, Welcome to PF! :smile:]

Hi TSny! Thanks for your repply.

I've been thinking again, and saw that I was equating the centripetal acceleration of Mb to the radial acceleration of Ma.

Now I've reasoned that (centripetal force on of Mb)-(centripetal force on Ma) should result in the radial force on Ma. In this case

Mb(-Rb*w^2) - Ma(-Ra*w^2)= Ma*r''_a

Mb(-(L-Ra)*w^2) + Ma(Ra*w^2)= Ma*r''_a

Mb(Ra-L)w^2) + Ma(Ra*w^2) = Ma*r''_a

(w^2) [Mb(Ra-L)+Ma(Ra)] (1/Ma) = r''_a

the radial acceleration of Mb would be the same, but in opposite direction.

cacofolius said:
Now I've reasoned that (centripetal force on of Mb)-(centripetal force on Ma) should result in the radial force on Ma.
That sounds suspiciously like thinking in terms of centrifugal force.
I suggest it will keep things clearer if you introduce T as the tension and treat each mass separately.

Thanks, I thought a little bit more:

T=Ma*Aa; Aa= (r_a''-Ra*w^2)êr
T=Mb*Ab; Ab= (r_b''-Rb*w^2)êr

(I eliminated the êθ part of the vector, since it hasn't started yet to move -"immediately after the catch is removed"- therefore r'=0, and of course θ''=0).

Now, both centripetal accelerations point to the origin, therefore have the same sign, but, no matter how the whole system moves (whether Ma moves inwards or outwards), the radial accelerations will have opposite sign, and equal magnitud (since I assume also that the string is inextensible). Then r''_b= -r''_a
Equating the T's:

Mb(r''_b'-Rb*w^2)=Ma(r''_a-Ra*w^2)

Replacing r''_b=-r''_a', and Rb=(L-Ra):

Mb(-r''_a-(L-Ra)*w^2)=Ma(r''_a-Ra*w^2)
Mb(-r''_a+(Ra-L)*w^2)=Ma(r''_a-Ra*w^2)

Distributing Mb inside the left parenthesis, and then dividing all through Ma:

-r''_a(Mb/Ma)+(Mb/Ma)*(Ra-L)*w^2=(r''_a-Ra*w^2)

-r''_a(Mb/Ma)+(Mb/Ma)*(Ra-L)*w^2+Ra*w^2=r''_a

(Mb/Ma)*(Ra-L)*w^2)+Ra*w^2= r''_a + r''_a(Mb/Ma)

(Mb/Ma)*(Ra-L)*w^2)+Ra*w^2= r''_a(1+(Mb/Ma))

And finally

[(Mb/Ma)*(Ra-L)*w^2)+Ra*w^2] / (1+(Mb/Ma)= r''_a

I hope is clear (and ok)

Looks good!

Great! Thanks TSny, haruspex, for your help.

1. What is the purpose of a rotating disk with two attached masses that slide without friction?

The purpose of this setup is to demonstrate the concept of rotational motion and its related variables, such as moment of inertia and angular velocity. It also allows for the observation of centripetal and centrifugal forces.

2. How does the presence of two attached masses affect the rotation of the disk?

The two attached masses increase the moment of inertia of the system, making it more difficult for the disk to rotate. This can be observed as a decrease in the angular velocity of the disk.

3. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal forces in this setup?

Centripetal force is the force that is directed towards the center of rotation, keeping the masses attached to the disk and preventing them from flying off. Centrifugal force is the outward force experienced by the masses due to their inertia and tendency to move in a straight line.

4. How does the radius of the rotating disk affect the motion of the masses?

The radius of the disk affects the magnitude of the centripetal and centrifugal forces experienced by the masses. A larger radius will result in a larger centripetal force and a smaller centrifugal force, while a smaller radius will have the opposite effect.

5. How can the rotation of the disk be altered in this setup?

The rotation of the disk can be altered by changing the masses attached to it, adjusting the radius of the disk, or changing the initial angular velocity of the disk. It can also be affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance.