A rule of logs and derivitaves

  • Thread starter Thread starter AStaunton
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
AStaunton
Messages
100
Reaction score
1
in my notes I have:

[tex]\frac{R^{\prime\prime}}{R^{\prime}}=-\frac{1}{r}\implies\frac{d}{dr}(\ln|\frac{dR}{dr}|)=-\frac{d}{dr}ln|r|[/tex]

where R is a function of r.

can someone please explain in as redundant detail as your patience allows, how the first equality implies the second.,..I think it's probably down to rules of logs that I don't quite understand..please feel free to explain steps that you may consider "obvious", as I am a bit of a moron.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AStaunton! :smile:

Put R' = S …

then S'/S = -1/r

ie dS/S = -dr/r :wink:​
 
thanks

I still don't see how that leads to the second equality...would you mind showing a few more intermediate steps?
 
I do...it was something else but I see it now. Thanks