1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A seemingly tricky limit - L'Hopital

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac {1-\frac{t}{(t-1)}}{1-\sqrt{\frac{t}{(t-1)}}} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am pretty sure that everything I did here was legal, I just wanted to check. I got the right answer, so yeah, heres what I did:

[tex] \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac {1-\frac{t}{(t-1)}}{1-\sqrt{\frac{t}{(t-1)}}} [/tex]

derivative turns out to be:

[tex] \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac{\frac{1}{(t-1)^{2}}}{\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{(t-1)^{2}})(\frac{t}{t-1})^{-1/2}} [/tex]

and after the obvious term cancels we have:

[tex] \lim_{t \to \infty} \frac {1}{\frac{1}{2} (\frac{t}{t-1})^{-1/2}} [/tex]

and since it is a reciprocal of a reciprocal this is the same thing:

[tex] \lim_{t \to \infty} 2(\frac{t}{t-1})^{1/2} [/tex]

then with the limit applied:

[tex] \lim_{t \to \infty} 2(\frac{t}{t-1})^{1/2} = 2[/tex]

the step with the flipping of the reciprocals is really all I need check, I am fairly certain everything else is good.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks fine to me. Well done.

4. May 19, 2010 #3
    Make a substitution:

[tex]

u = \sqrt{\frac{t}{t - 1}}

[/tex]

and re-express your expression in terms of [itex]u[/itex]. When [itex]t \rightarrow \infty[/itex], what does [itex]u[/itex] tend to? You will have a simpler problem that can be solved by elementary methods (factorization).

5. May 19, 2010 #4
    I used a difference of squares and Dickfore's substitution to make it (1+u)(1-u) over (1-u). Why did you take the derivative? It just looks confusing?

6. May 19, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Asphyxiated solved it by using l'Hopital on a 0/0 form. The given solution is just fine. It's simpler with a substitution, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with what Asphyxiated did.

7. May 19, 2010 #6
    Oh! Sorry! I meant no harm, and I certainly didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with Asphyxiated's solution. My post may have sounded rude but really I was just surprised. I had temporarily forgotten about l'Hopital's rule because we aren't allowed to use it in my grade 12 class, and when I saw this limit I just thought of difference of squares right away.

8. May 19, 2010 #7
    I did it the way that I did it because it is in the section of the book to learn to use l'hopital's rule, that is it.

9. May 19, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't think you were trying to be rude or anything, don't apologize. But you asked "why the derivative", so I answered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook