Checking series for convergence

Lambda96
Homework Statement
Check whether the series ##\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}{3^{k}}## converges
Relevant Equations
All convergence criteria are allowed
Hi,

I am having problems with task d)

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-06 um 18.30.36.png

I now wanted to check the convergence using the quotient test, so ## \lim_{n\to\infty} |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}| < 1##

I have now proceeded as follows:

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2}}{3^{k+1}} \cdot \frac{3^{k}}{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}##

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{1}{3} \frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2}}{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}##

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{1}{3} \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2} \cdot \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{-k^2}##

Unfortunately I can't get any further now, if I form the limit ##\lim_{k\to\infty} \frac{1}{3} \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2} \cdot \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{-k^2} ## with Mathematica, ##\frac{e}{3}## must come out, unfortunately I don't know how I can show this with my expression, or should I have used a different criterion for the task?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at [tex]
\lim_{k \to \infty} \left|\frac{a_{k+1}}{a_k}\right| = \exp\left( \lim_{k \to \infty} (\ln |a_{k+1}| - \ln |a_{k}|) \right)[/tex] and use [tex]
\ln(1 + x) = x - \frac12 x^2 + O(x^3), \quad |x| < 1[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Lambda96
Lambda96 said:
Homework Statement: Check whether the series ##\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}{3^{k}}## converges
Relevant Equations: All convergence criteria are allowed

Hi,

I am having problems with task d)

View attachment 336770

I now wanted to check the convergence using the quotient test, so ## \lim_{n\to\infty} |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}| < 1##

I have now proceeded as follows:

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2}}{3^{k+1}} \cdot \frac{3^{k}}{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}##

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{1}{3} \frac{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2}}{\Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{k^2}}##

##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{1}{3} \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2} \cdot \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{-k^2}##

Unfortunately I can't get any further now, if I form the limit ##\lim_{k\to\infty} \frac{1}{3} \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k+1} \Bigr)^{(k+1)^2} \cdot \Bigl( 1 + \frac{1}{k} \Bigr)^{-k^2} ## with Mathematica, ##\frac{e}{3}## must come out, unfortunately I don't know how I can show this with my expression, or should I have used a different criterion for the task?
Seems you could use that
##Lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{k})^k =e##

Likes Lambda96
WWGD said:
Seems you could use that
##Lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{k})^k =e##

How does that generalize to the case where the exponent is [itex]k^2[/itex] rather than [itex]k[/itex]?

Likes Lambda96
Thank you pasmith and WWGD for your help 👍👍, I have now used the root test, which allowed me to reduce the expression to ##\frac{(1+\frac{1}{k})^k}{3}## and which corresponds to the limit ##\lim_{k \to \infty}## to ## \frac{e}{3}##

Likes WWGD
pasmith said:
How does that generalize to the case where the exponent is [itex]k^2[/itex] rather than [itex]k[/itex]?
Well, Lambda96 used it to solve his problem. I only provide hints, as per PF policy.

1. How do you check a series for convergence?

To check a series for convergence, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, limit comparison test, integral test, or root test. Each test has its own criteria for determining convergence or divergence of a series.

2. What is the ratio test for checking convergence of a series?

The ratio test states that for a series ∑an, if limn→∞ |an+1/an| = L, then the series converges if L < 1, diverges if L > 1, and the test is inconclusive if L = 1.

3. When should I use the comparison test to check convergence?

The comparison test is useful when you have difficulty determining the convergence of a series directly. By comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series, you can establish the convergence of the original series.

4. What is the integral test for convergence of a series?

The integral test states that for a series ∑an, if the function f(n) corresponding to an is continuous, positive, and decreasing, then the series converges if the corresponding integral ∫f(x)dx from 1 to ∞ converges.

5. Can a series converge conditionally but not absolutely?

Yes, a series can converge conditionally if it converges when the terms are rearranged in a specific order, but not absolutely if it diverges when the absolute values of the terms are summed. This phenomenon is known as conditional convergence.