A serious question about CPU/GPU bottlenecks.

1. At the end of this month, I am building a gaming desktop computer with the following specifications. I was told that the ONLY CPU capable of not having any bottleneck with the Radeon HD 5xxx series is a Core i7 @ 4.5 GHz. How badly will a Phenom II X4 965 BE @3.4 GHz bottleneck a single Radeon HD 5870? Will the ability of that GPU be severely limited limited by that bottleneck? Do I have to spend another $1,000 to buy a Core i7 rig with an X58 motherboard and water cooling after trying to get it to that ludicrous speed?

Off topic, I heard that the first revision of the Sapphire HD 5870 has been discontinued, but is there any way of getting a hold of One anymore? The 2nd revision runs about 20 *C hotter both idle and load, due to cheaper circuitry than the 1st revision.

If you can't get the 1st revision anymore, it's a damn shame. Sapphire should be ashamed of themselves.

Also, what is the maximum theoretical graphical settings I could play Crysis on and still get a playable frame rate?

* Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
    * ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 socket motherboard.
    * 4GB of 1333 or 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
    * Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X
    * 850W or greater PSU
    * CoolerMaster HAF 932 full tower case
    * DVD-RW ROM
    * 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
    * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  2. jcsd
  3. I'd have a read of this article:
    In general, most games are GPU limited once you have a fairly decent processor (eg. i5 750, phenom 965). The i7 often performs no better than these ones since it's set up to run 8 threads but most games aren't that well threaded. That build looks pretty good, I'd look through some of the benchmarks/reviews on tomshardware to get an idea of what it's capable of doing... should definitely play crysis at most resolutions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?