I am hesitant to buy a Radeon HD 5850 because

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
In summary: Will a Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz have any problems running an HD 5870?Yes, a Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz may have some problems running an HD 5870, but an i7-950 or i7-975 will have no problems.
The_Absolute
I am hesitant to buy a Radeon HD 5850 because...

Right now I am using a Radeon Hd 4850, I was hoping to upgrade to an HD 5850, but I am afriad that my C2Q Q9400 2.66 GHz @ 2.66 GHz would bottleneck the new GPU so severely, that I may actually get less performance than I am with my current graphics card.

I've been told that with or without a bottleneck, I should still get a huge performance boost by upgrading from my HD 4850 to an HD 5850.

My system specs include the following.

Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHz @ 2.66 GHz.
6GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM.
Radeon HD 4850 (512 MB)
Foxconn G33 motherboard (I have a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P but I haven't installed it yet)
Corsair TX750 750W PSU.
DVD drive.
m-ATX case (I have a coolermaster HAF 932 full tower case, but it hasn't been installed)
Stock air coolers.

Computer science news on Phys.org

When it comes to graphs, the CPU does not contribute that much, thus when making gaming PC, you have the option to opt for either a lower end or mid range processor.

So it won't be a problem with your CPU.

dE_logics said:
When it comes to graphs, the CPU does not contribute that much, thus when making gaming PC, you have the option to opt for either a lower end or mid range processor.

So it won't be a problem with your CPU.

Will a Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz have any problems running an HD 5870?

The_Absolute said:

NOT at all...

VERY nice alternative to those overpriced i7s.

Rocket254 said:
NOT at all...

VERY nice alternative to those overpriced i7s.

Though they cost more (would hardly say overpriced), when overclocked, they run circles around the Phenom 965's. Overall, stock for stock, they're almost on par. The i7 is still faster at video processing/encoding. The AMDs only strong point is with gaming. Even then, superior performance over an Intel is still hit and miss. Depends on the game.

The_Absolute said:

No no, absolutely not. Even an higher end double cored will suffice.

Check the value for money though...as other are stating here.

1. Why are you hesitant to buy a Radeon HD 5850?

As a scientist, I always consider the pros and cons of any purchase. In this case, I am hesitant because there may be newer and more advanced graphics cards available on the market.

2. Is the Radeon HD 5850 not a good graphics card?

The Radeon HD 5850 is a good graphics card and was considered top-of-the-line when it was first released. However, technology is constantly advancing and there may be better options available now.

3. What are the alternatives to the Radeon HD 5850?

There are a variety of alternatives to the Radeon HD 5850, such as the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or the AMD Radeon RX 580. It ultimately depends on your budget and specific needs.

4. Are there any known issues with the Radeon HD 5850?

There have been some reported issues with overheating and driver compatibility, but these issues can vary depending on the specific model and setup. It's always important to do thorough research and read reviews before making a purchase.

5. Would you recommend buying a Radeon HD 5850?

As a scientist, I cannot make a recommendation without knowing the specific needs and budget of the individual. However, I would suggest considering other options and doing thorough research before making a decision.