Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CPU bottleneck by Radeon HD 5xxx series GPU's?

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    I've read that the Radeon HD 5000 series graphics cards, especially the HD 5950, and 5970 dual-core ones, are being bottlenecked by even today's fastest available processors. Including the Core i7 975.

A single Radeon HD 5970 (Two HD 5870 cores) has even more throughput than Two Radeon HD 4870's quad crossfireX. Which required a quad-core processor to be a clocked past 4.0 GHz with water cooling to completely remove the bottleneck posed by the Four GPU's.

Is there any way of telling if you have a bottleneck? Is there any program I can run to tell me so? I'd imagine my bottleneck is caused by my HD 4850 running on a PCIe 16x 1.0 slot, instead of a 2.0 slot. I can't buy a new motherboard without having to buy new RAM, and possibly a CPU due to bus speed and chipset compatibility issues.

Is my Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz running at it's stock 2.66 GHz enough for my single Radeon HD 4850? My BIOS forbids overclocking of any kind.

I don't have the money to do that at the moment.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook