1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ship going upstream and experiences a frictional force

1. Nov 16, 2006 #1
    Hello there!

This problem is giving me a hard time and I thought maybe one of you could give me a hint:

"A ship is going upstream with a constant power P. Its speed [tex]V[/tex] is relative to the water and the water's speed [tex]U[/tex] is relative to the shore. The ship needs tp overcome a frictional force of [tex]F_r=cv^2[/tex] caused by the water which depends on its relativ speed. How big does v have to be so that the ship goes from A to B with the lowest energy consumption?"

Where I would start is that the ship needs at least the power which is neccesary to stay in the same place. Which would be
    [tex] P=F_r x U = cU^2U=cU^3[/tex] and than in addition some extra power to go upstream. That would be [tex] P=F_r x (v-u)=c(V-U)^2 x (V-U)[/tex]. But from here, if it's really correct, I do not know how to continue :(
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume the "x" in your formula is a multiplication sign. Don't do that, it's confusing. Just [itex]P= F_rU[/itex] would be sufficient.
    I don't believe you can or should distinguish between the power necessary to "stand still" and the power necessary to move forward against the current. They are the same. Note also that U is speed of the boat relative to the water so it makes no sense to use V-U (which would be negative: if the boat is moving forward against the current, U> V).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?