Gravitational Effects on a Pendulum in a Moving Ship

In summary, the conversation discusses the tension in a pendulum's string on a ship sailing from east to west along the equator. The tension is affected by the ship's velocity and the Earth's angular velocity. The correct formula for the tension includes a subtraction of 2mωv, which was initially thought to be addition. The correct relative angular velocity is ωship=ωearth−v/R.
Viraam

Homework Statement

A pendulum having a bob of mass ##m## is hanging in a ship sailing along the equator from east to west. If the ship sails at speed v what is the tension in the string?. Angular speed of Earth's rotation is ## \omega ## and radius of the Earth is ## R ##

Homework Equations

## T = mg - R\omega'^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

If the ship were still, the tension in the string would be given by

## T_0 = mg - mR\omega^2##

However since the ship moves in the direction opposite to Earth's rotation, the angular velocity of Earth with respect to the ship would be ## \omega + \frac{v}{R}##

Therefore the tension would be
## T = mg - mR(\omega + \frac{v}{R})^2 \\
T \approx T_0 - 2m\omega v
##

Doubt: The answer key says that ## T \approx T_0 + 2m\omega v ## which means the relative angular velocity was taken as ## \omega - \frac{v}{R} ## . But isn't that the relative angular velocity when the ship sails from west to east. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Viraam said:
Where did I go wrong?
Here:
Viraam said:
But isn't that the relative angular velocity when the ship sails from west to east.

In which direction does the Earth spin?

Orodruin said:
In which direction does the Earth spin?
The Earth spins from west to east.

So if you in addition give yourself a velocity from west to east, how does this affect your angular velocity? Will you get a larger or smaller angular velocity?

Orodruin said:
So if you in addition give yourself a velocity from west to east, how does this affect your angular velocity? Will you get a larger or smaller angular velocity?
Ohhh yes. Intuitively, I feel it would be a larger angular velocity.
But if you talk about relative motion, then won't the values get subtracted as they are along the same direction.

Relative to what?

Orodruin said:
Relative to what?
Angular velocity of the Earth relative to the ship.

The angular velocity of the Earth relative to the ship is ##v/r##. What you want is the angular velocity of the ship relative to an inertial frame.

Orodruin said:
The angular velocity of the Earth relative to the ship is ##v/r##. What you want is the angular velocity of the ship relative to an inertial frame.
I don't quite get it. It the angular velocity of the Earth relative to the ship = ## \omega_\text{earth}-\omega_\text{ship} ##. Say for instance, my frame of reference is that of the ship which is non inertial.
From the free body diagram, I get the relation ## T = mg - mR\omega^2 ##. But in this case, shouldn't omega be the relative angular velocity of the Earth with respect to the ship.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 400
Viraam said:
I don't quite get it. It the angular velocity of the Earth relative to the ship = ## \omega_\text{earth}-\omega_\text{ship} ##. Say for instance, my frame of reference is that of the ship which is non inertial.

Yes, and by definition of your problem where the ship is moving at speed ##v## relative to the Earth that relative angular velocity is ##-v/r## so ##\omega_{\rm ship} = \omega_{\rm earth} + v/r##.

From the free body diagram, I get the relation ## T = mg - mR\omega^2 ##. But in this case, shouldn't omega be the relative angular velocity of the Earth with respect to the ship.
No. It should be the angular velocity relative to an inertial frame.

Likes Viraam
Orodruin said:
Yes, and by definition of your problem where the ship is moving at speed vvv relative to the Earth that relative angular velocity is −v/r−v/r-v/r so ωship=ωearth+v/rωship=ωearth+v/r\omega_{\rm ship} = \omega_{\rm earth} + v/r.
Ohh ok. Let me just repeat what I understand from your explanation. Can you please tell me if I understood right?

Since the ship is on Earth the velocity ## v ## given to us is actually its velocity relative to earth. Hence,
## -\dfrac{v}{R} = \omega_\text{ship} - \omega_\text{earth} \\ \Rightarrow \omega_\text{ship} = \omega_\text{earth} - \dfrac{v}{R} ##
And this is ## \omega_\text{ship} ## is to be used in the equation ## T = mg - mR\omega^2 ##

Viraam said:
Hence,
## -\dfrac{v}{R} = \omega_\text{ship} - \omega_\text{earth} \\ \Rightarrow \omega_\text{ship} = \omega_\text{earth} - \dfrac{v}{R} ##

No. You mixed ip the signs again. What I gave you was the relative angular velocity given in post #9 ie earth-ship, not ship-earth. You need to be more careful when you consider those.

Orodruin said:
No. You mixed ip the signs again. What I gave you was the relative angular velocity given in post #9 ie earth-ship, not ship-earth. You need to be more careful when you consider those.
I'm sorry but I'm quite confused right now. If I use
Orodruin said:
ωship=ωearth+v/rωship=ωearth+v/r\omega_{\rm ship} = \omega_{\rm earth} + v/r.
in ## T = mg - mR\omega^2 ## then I get the result which I posted in the question of this thread:
Viraam said:
However since the ship moves in the direction opposite to Earth's rotation, the angular velocity of Earth with respect to the ship would be ω+vRω+vR \omega + \frac{v}{R}

Therefore the tension would be
T=mg−mR(ω+vR)2T≈T0−2mωvT=mg−mR(ω+vR)2T≈T0−2mωv T = mg - mR(\omega + \frac{v}{R})^2 \\ T \approx T_0 - 2m\omega v
However, the answer is ## T \approx T_0 + 2m\omega v ## in the textbook. From their answer I inferred that they must have taken ## \omega_\text{ship} = \omega - \dfrac{v}{R}##

Sorry for the trouble again!

I thought you were still discussing west to east motion of the ship.

Likes Viraam
Orodruin said:
I thought you were still discussing west to east motion of the ship.
Oops! My bad. I didn't mention which case I was talking about. Sorry!
When I wrote the following, I meant the case when the ship was sailing from east to west: -
## -\dfrac{v}{R} = \omega_\text{ship} - \omega_\text{earth} \\ \Rightarrow \omega_\text{ship} = \omega_\text{earth} - \dfrac{v}{R}##

Is it correct now?​

Yes, since the ship moves in the opposite direction of the Earth's angular velocity, its velocity relative to the Earth's surface will tend to give it a lower angular velocity relative to an inertial frame.

Likes Viraam
Orodruin said:
Yes, since the ship moves in the opposite direction of the Earth's angular velocity, its velocity relative to the Earth's surface will tend to give it a lower angular velocity relative to an inertial frame.
Thanks a lot. I've understood the solution to this problem now!

1. What is the relationship between gravitation and a pendulum?

The relationship between gravitation and a pendulum is that the force of gravity is what causes a pendulum to swing. The Earth's gravitational pull acts on the mass of the pendulum, causing it to accelerate towards the center of the Earth and creating the swinging motion.

2. How does the length of a pendulum affect its swing?

The length of a pendulum affects its swing by determining its period, or the time it takes for one complete swing. The longer the pendulum, the longer the period. This is because a longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel, so it takes more time to complete a full cycle.

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by its length, the force of gravity, and the amplitude (or angle) of its swing. The period is longer for longer pendulums, stronger gravitational forces, and larger amplitudes. Additionally, the material and weight of the pendulum can also affect its period.

4. How does a pendulum demonstrate the law of conservation of energy?

A pendulum demonstrates the law of conservation of energy by constantly converting between potential energy (when it is at the highest point of its swing) and kinetic energy (when it is at the lowest point of its swing). This conversion continues as the pendulum swings back and forth, showing that energy is conserved throughout the system.

5. Can a pendulum be used to measure the force of gravity?

Yes, a pendulum can be used to measure the force of gravity. By measuring the period and length of a pendulum, the gravitational force can be calculated using the equation F = (4π²mL)/T², where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the pendulum, L is the length of the pendulum, and T is the period of the pendulum.