A shot in the head turn into a man...

Main Question or Discussion Point

35461966_1151773051653148_3993600113833410560_n.png

Translation: A man with a mental illness tried to kill himself with a shot in the head. Instead of dying, the bullet struck the part of the brain that caused the mental disorder; he healed and became a great student in college.

I know that the page is not there these things. But I have a question: How a thing, like a shot, can turn into our brain? Why it happened that with this man, how this can be possible? I would like bibliographic references to read about it.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

It is you who is asking for an opinion about something.
So it is up to you to provide a reference to what you are talking about.

atyy
Science Advisor
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
The situation is rare. A fraction of people are diagnosed as mentally ill. Fewer make it past a gunshot wound to the head. Those who do better in college afterwards are even rarer. Sure, though, it happens- people can recover from traumatic brain injury from gunshot wounds. There are many factors in detemining the outcome here.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
The case appears to be rather old. Though, that doesn't mean it isn't still a remarkable story.

I would like bibliographic references to read about it.
I googled the name of your poster and part of the message and found the posting group [Fatos Desconhecidos = Unknown Facts] on Facebook, where they posted a link to the Brazilian news source. [dated 2013]
I have a web browser that can translate it, so I snagged some keywords, and found an Associated Press article:

Man ‘Cures’ Mental Illness By Shooting Self in Brain
Feb. 23, 1988
Monday’s edition of Physician’s Weekly wryly described the failed suicide attempt as ″successful radical surgery.″

I'm afraid I can't locate the Physician's Weekly article.
But the details in the AP article are probably adequate for most non-medical curiosity seekers.
Fascinating story.

ps. The part about his mom made me kind of upset though. :frown:

Pythagorean
Gold Member
It depends on the mental illness and its neural correlate. For example, anxiety disorders might be related to the part of the brain that detects danger being too sensitive. Drugs can inhibit that part of the brain by targeting the associated neurotramsmitter with drugs, however drugs affect all neurotransmitters of that type in the brain, leading to side effects.

A gunshot could, theoretically, simply wipe out a portion of the neural population. Since brains are redundant and have a lot of neurons in a particular population all doing the same thing, removing a portion of the population could reduce strength of a response while not disabling that response completely. Obviously, your chances of doing that with a bullet are pretty low, given all the things that could go wrong.

It is you who is asking for an opinion about something.
So it is up to you to provide a reference to what you are talking about.
Sorry, I forgot to put that. Thanks for letting me know.

The situation is rare. A fraction of people are diagnosed as mentally ill. Fewer make it past a gunshot wound to the head. Those who do better in college afterwards are even rarer. Sure, though, it happens- people can recover from traumatic brain injury from gunshot wounds. There are many factors in detemining the outcome here.
But he even recovering himself, his capacity to remember some happening, some part of his memory is affected?

The case appears to be rather old. Though, that doesn't mean it isn't still a remarkable story.

I googled the name of your poster and part of the message and found the posting group [Fatos Desconhecidos = Unknown Facts] on Facebook, where they posted a link to the Brazilian news source. [dated 2013]
I have a web browser that can translate it, so I snagged some keywords, and found an Associated Press article:

Man ‘Cures’ Mental Illness By Shooting Self in Brain
Feb. 23, 1988
Monday’s edition of Physician’s Weekly wryly described the failed suicide attempt as ″successful radical surgery.″

I'm afraid I can't locate the Physician's Weekly article.
But the details in the AP article are probably adequate for most non-medical curiosity seekers.
Fascinating story.

ps. The part about his mom made me kind of upset though. :frown:
At the same time, I found the story cool, sad and awesome. I was upset of the attitude of his mother, his own mother wanted him dead. At least he survived. in a paralell universe, he may have died.

It depends on the mental illness and its neural correlate. For example, anxiety disorders might be related to the part of the brain that detects danger being too sensitive. Drugs can inhibit that part of the brain by targeting the associated neurotramsmitter with drugs, however drugs affect all neurotransmitters of that type in the brain, leading to side effects.

A gunshot could, theoretically, simply wipe out a portion of the neural population. Since brains are redundant and have a lot of neurons in a particular population all doing the same thing, removing a portion of the population could reduce strength of a response while not disabling that response completely. Obviously, your chances of doing that with a bullet are pretty low, given all the things that could go wrong.
Our brain is redundant because there are several cells that do the same thing, right? I never had heard this term. I learn a lot with you (Since I arrived here), folks. Going ahead... Is there how to know how was his brain? Because I'm in doubt about if he, killing his neural cells, can remember his facts of his life. I'm in doubt about it.

I'm not sure about this particular case, but if you are interested in therapies that work (sometimes) for mental illness, but which are not well understood, you may like to read about electroconvulsive therapy: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180502-the-surprising-benefits-of-electroshock-therapy-or-ect.
I'll read it, I won't forget it.

A tamping iron penetrated this man's skull, destroying the left temporal lobe. He survived, personality changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
I'll read it, I won't forget it².