A shot in the head turn into a man....

  • Medical
  • Thread starter José Ricardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    college head
In summary, a man with a mental illness shot himself in the head and survived. He recovered and became a great student in college.
  • #1
José Ricardo
92
5
35461966_1151773051653148_3993600113833410560_n.png

Translation: A man with a mental illness tried to kill himself with a shot in the head. Instead of dying, the bullet struck the part of the brain that caused the mental disorder; he healed and became a great student in college.

I know that the page is not there these things. But I have a question: How a thing, like a shot, can turn into our brain? Why it happened that with this man, how this can be possible? I would like bibliographic references to read about it.
 

Attachments

  • 35461966_1151773051653148_3993600113833410560_n.png
    35461966_1151773051653148_3993600113833410560_n.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 961
Biology news on Phys.org
  • #2
It is you who is asking for an opinion about something.
So it is up to you to provide a reference to what you are talking about.
 
  • Like
Likes José Ricardo
  • #5
The situation is rare. A fraction of people are diagnosed as mentally ill. Fewer make it past a gunshot wound to the head. Those who do better in college afterwards are even rarer. Sure, though, it happens- people can recover from traumatic brain injury from gunshot wounds. There are many factors in detemining the outcome here.
 
  • Like
Likes José Ricardo
  • #6
The case appears to be rather old. Though, that doesn't mean it isn't still a remarkable story.

José Ricardo said:
I would like bibliographic references to read about it.

I googled the name of your poster and part of the message and found the posting group [Fatos Desconhecidos = Unknown Facts] on Facebook, where they posted a link to the Brazilian news source. [dated 2013]
I have a web browser that can translate it, so I snagged some keywords, and found an Associated Press article:

Man ‘Cures’ Mental Illness By Shooting Self in Brain
Feb. 23, 1988
Monday’s edition of Physician’s Weekly wryly described the failed suicide attempt as ″successful radical surgery.″
I'm afraid I can't locate the Physician's Weekly article.
But the details in the AP article are probably adequate for most non-medical curiosity seekers.
Fascinating story.

ps. The part about his mom made me kind of upset though. :frown:
 
  • Like
Likes atyy, BillTre and José Ricardo
  • #7
It depends on the mental illness and its neural correlate. For example, anxiety disorders might be related to the part of the brain that detects danger being too sensitive. Drugs can inhibit that part of the brain by targeting the associated neurotramsmitter with drugs, however drugs affect all neurotransmitters of that type in the brain, leading to side effects.

A gunshot could, theoretically, simply wipe out a portion of the neural population. Since brains are redundant and have a lot of neurons in a particular population all doing the same thing, removing a portion of the population could reduce strength of a response while not disabling that response completely. Obviously, your chances of doing that with a bullet are pretty low, given all the things that could go wrong.
 
  • Like
Likes BillTre and José Ricardo
  • #8
rootone said:
It is you who is asking for an opinion about something.
So it is up to you to provide a reference to what you are talking about.

Sorry, I forgot to put that. Thanks for letting me know.

Fervent Freyja said:
The situation is rare. A fraction of people are diagnosed as mentally ill. Fewer make it past a gunshot wound to the head. Those who do better in college afterwards are even rarer. Sure, though, it happens- people can recover from traumatic brain injury from gunshot wounds. There are many factors in detemining the outcome here.

But he even recovering himself, his capacity to remember some happening, some part of his memory is affected?

OmCheeto said:
The case appears to be rather old. Though, that doesn't mean it isn't still a remarkable story.

I googled the name of your poster and part of the message and found the posting group [Fatos Desconhecidos = Unknown Facts] on Facebook, where they posted a link to the Brazilian news source. [dated 2013]
I have a web browser that can translate it, so I snagged some keywords, and found an Associated Press article:

Man ‘Cures’ Mental Illness By Shooting Self in Brain
Feb. 23, 1988
Monday’s edition of Physician’s Weekly wryly described the failed suicide attempt as ″successful radical surgery.″
I'm afraid I can't locate the Physician's Weekly article.
But the details in the AP article are probably adequate for most non-medical curiosity seekers.
Fascinating story.

ps. The part about his mom made me kind of upset though. :frown:
At the same time, I found the story cool, sad and awesome. I was upset of the attitude of his mother, his own mother wanted him dead. At least he survived. in a parallel universe, he may have died.

Pythagorean said:
It depends on the mental illness and its neural correlate. For example, anxiety disorders might be related to the part of the brain that detects danger being too sensitive. Drugs can inhibit that part of the brain by targeting the associated neurotramsmitter with drugs, however drugs affect all neurotransmitters of that type in the brain, leading to side effects.

A gunshot could, theoretically, simply wipe out a portion of the neural population. Since brains are redundant and have a lot of neurons in a particular population all doing the same thing, removing a portion of the population could reduce strength of a response while not disabling that response completely. Obviously, your chances of doing that with a bullet are pretty low, given all the things that could go wrong.

Our brain is redundant because there are several cells that do the same thing, right? I never had heard this term. I learn a lot with you (Since I arrived here), folks. Going ahead... Is there how to know how was his brain? Because I'm in doubt about if he, killing his neural cells, can remember his facts of his life. I'm in doubt about it.
 
  • #9
atyy said:
I'm not sure about this particular case, but if you are interested in therapies that work (sometimes) for mental illness, but which are not well understood, you may like to read about electroconvulsive therapy: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180502-the-surprising-benefits-of-electroshock-therapy-or-ect.

I'll read it, I won't forget it.

jim mcnamara said:
A tamping iron penetrated this man's skull, destroying the left temporal lobe. He survived, personality changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

I'll read it, I won't forget it².
 

1. How is it possible for a shot in the head to turn into a man?

This is not scientifically possible. A shot in the head would result in severe brain damage or death, and cannot turn someone into a man.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claim that a shot in the head can turn into a man?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. In fact, all scientific evidence points to the fact that a shot in the head is a life-threatening injury and cannot result in someone becoming a man.

3. Is there any truth behind the belief that a shot in the head can cause a person to change their gender?

No, this belief is not based in science. Gender identity is determined by a complex combination of biological, psychological, and social factors, and cannot be changed by a physical injury.

4. Are there any documented cases of a shot in the head causing a person to transform into a man?

No, there are no documented cases of this happening. Any claims of this nature are likely based on myth or misunderstanding of scientific principles.

5. Can a shot in the head have any impact on a person's gender or identity?

No, a shot in the head cannot impact a person's gender or identity. Gender and identity are deeply personal and complex aspects of an individual, and cannot be altered by a physical injury.

Similar threads

Replies
3
Views
1K
Replies
20
Views
12K
  • Biology and Medical
Replies
2
Views
768
  • Sci-Fi Writing and World Building
Replies
23
Views
3K
  • Biology and Medical
Replies
2
Views
15K
  • STEM Academic Advising
2
Replies
54
Views
4K
  • Biology and Medical
Replies
1
Views
10K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
11
Views
1K
  • Biology and Medical
Replies
2
Views
4K
  • Biology and Medical
Replies
32
Views
10K
Back
Top