1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple delta function properties, sifting property

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1
    • Member warned to use the formatting template
    upload_2015-9-9_18-27-14.png

I don't know why this is possible

To use delta function properties( sifting property)

integral range have to (-inf ,inf)

or at least variable s should be included in [t_0,t_0+T]

but there is no conditions at all (i.e. t_0 < s < t_0+T)

am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is the sameness of the integration limits that eliminates the need for them to be +- infinity. Consider the integral over ##t## only
    $$
    \int_{t_0}^{t_0+T} \delta(t-s) dt
    $$.
    The integrand is a delta function centered at ##t=s##, but the range of ##s## is the same as the range of ##t##. This means the integrand ##\delta(t-s)## is guaranteed to always be located inside the integration limit of ##t##. So,
    $$
    \int_{t_0}^{t_0+T} \delta(t-s) dt = 1
    $$.

4. Sep 9, 2015 #3
    u mean delta function property does not care about integral range?

5. Sep 9, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is only true under the situtaion being considered, namely there is a second integral with respect to ##s## present with the same limits as the first integral.

EDIT: It might have been more justifiable if I had written
    $$
    \int_{t_0}^{t_0+T} \delta(t-s) dt = 1 \hspace{1.2cm} \text{for} \hspace{1.22cm} s=[t_0,t_0+T]
    $$

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  6. Sep 13, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Taking one integral at a time: ∫ δ(t-s)dt from t0 to t0 + T = 0 unless s is within range of t0 to t0 + T, in which case it = 1. So you have to assume s is within range of t0 to t0 + T, and I agree that should have been specified.

Then the second integral is obviously T so the whole thing is N0/2 times 1 times T = N0T/2.

7. Sep 13, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean "shifting" or "sifting"? These are both relevant aspects of transforms such as the delta function, but they refer to vastly different properties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted