1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple experiment to determine an unknown powder

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are given a white powder and it could be one of six substances: calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, sodium hydrogen carbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium chloride and sodium hydroxide. Determine the unknown sample.
    Materials: White powder (5g)
    Phenolphthalein
    Silver nitrate solution
    Acetic acid

3. The attempt at a solution
    React with acetic acid if it is a carbonate it will bubble (CO2 formed)

React with the silver nitrate solution if it is sodium chloride it will form a cloudy white solution:
    AgNO3 + NaCl → AgCl(s) + NaNo3

Now the phenolphthalein changes from colourless to pink when the pH goes above 8.2 so I assume there is some way to find out which one using basic acidic but this is where I start to have trouble as I am unsure what other experiments to do.
    Thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the solubility of silver carbonate? Silver sulfate?

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

I'd like to first use phenolphthalein to check whether the given salt is basic or not. It will really classify them in broad sense.

Check how many are basic enough to give positive tests with phenolphthalein?

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If you continue to add powder to a sample of acetic acid after bubbling ceases, you will be able to see whether that powder is soluble (i.e., forms an aqueous solution).

You aren't provided with water to test the powders for solubility, so use some spent acid as your water source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted