Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Single String Conjecture ? -Feynman revisited

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    a "Single String Conjecture"? -Feynman revisited

Do we all remember Feynman's "Single Electron Conjecture" that states, basically, that a single electron moving back and forth in time could "fill in the gaps" on every electron ring around every atom in the universe? Well, assuming Superstring Theory is true and every particle is really a vibrating superstring (and, as such, all particles are generically the same), can't we "conjecture" that the entire universe is really one vibrating superstring moving back and forth in time?
    (I know this is probably a bit of a stretch, but, hopefully, Superstrings may turn out to be more like rubberbands than previously imagined.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2
    Re: a "Single String Conjecture"? -Feynman revisited

Schiller's "strand model" does precisely that: it described all of nature as made of a single strand (in 3 dimensions though, not 11), and the various knots/tangles are the particles. See http://www.motionmountain.net/research [Broken] and the other threads in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Dec 28, 2009 #3

Thank you so very much for informing me about Shiller's model. Wow! To think someone took this pipedream (literally!) of mine seriously makes me, a mere layman, feel pretty good. I'll check out the the site and do my best to puzzle out what he's saying.

5. Dec 28, 2009 #4

Is this strand model crackpottery?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Dec 28, 2009 #5

Hmm--"crachpottery". Things are so busy now I haven't had time to read the Schiller article---but, now that you say this, Schiller's model certainly doesn't sound like something based on Superstring Theory, does it? I mean, superstrings are Planck length ---so there couldn't be one long superstring creating the entire universe. The key idea in connecting to Feynman's conjecture, of course, is the movement of an entity (electron or, as here considered, string) "back and forth in time". So Shiller's model doesn't seem to embody the idea I'm suggesting at all ----but I still appreciate people's input and will take a look at what he's saying fairly soon.

7. Dec 29, 2009 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I think it is possible. More precisely, I think it is possible that all particles are one giant string split in many small parts. The process of splitting involves motions faster than light, which is related to motion backwards in time. For more details see
    http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0702060
    especially Fig. 1.

8. Dec 29, 2009 #7

MTd2

Gold Member

Hmm, isn't Nikolic = Demystifier?

9. Dec 29, 2009 #8

All new theories are! Experimentation will determine the outcome.

Heinz likely knows a lot more about the strand model than I, but reading the strand thread I sure did not think Schiller was proposing a single strand, but rather multiple strands of infinite length to horizons....he even says strands are separated by Planck Lengths....

10. Dec 29, 2009 #9

Schiller says that all strands are "infinite" in the sense that they reach the "border of space". In practice, the border is the cosmic horizon. Schiller also argues that at the horizon, all strands are connected. From a local viewpoint, strands are thus "infinite for all practical purposes"; from a global viewpoint, they are all "one and the same".

11. Dec 30, 2009 #10

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Of course. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook