A sliding puck analyzed from an inertial reference frame

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in a string attached to a puck moving in a horizontal circle around a fixed bead. The approach is to find the tension in order to calculate the work done by the force, then use the work-kinetic energy theorem to find the velocity. The different frame of reference is accounted for by pretending the moving frame is stationary. The speed of the puck (V) can be determined by considering its relationship to the angle θ. From there, the tension can be calculated and the problem can be solved.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

Located here:http://imgur.com/qP9fd.png"

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do this problem.

First of all how do I approach it? Should I do a free-body diagram? Should it be done at position 1? How do I account for the different frame of reference? How is this going to affect the equations for kinetic energy?

I would like to know if I'm thinking of this right:

I should find the tension, somehow, so that I may find the work done by this force. Knowing the work, I can use the work-kinetic energy theorem to find velocity and if this plan is right, then I'll probably take it from there and come back if I get stuck again. However, this business with a different reference frame is, unknown to me, I don't know how it affects things. I was ready to say that the velocity is zero at position 1, since to me it seems like it would be zero relevant to an object moving at a constant velocity, but now I need to work something out to show that it's not.

So I guess I need help with part a first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raziel2701! :smile:

(This is on horizontal ice, isn't it … so that we can ignore friction and gravity?)
Raziel2701 said:
Should I do a free-body diagram? Should it be done at position 1?

Well, there's only one force on the puck, so it won't be much of a diagram, but yes you can draw it if you like. :wink:

If you do, you should draw it at a general position θ.
How do I account for the different frame of reference?

You don't do anything special.

You just pretend that the moving frame of reference is actually stationary …

in other words: you pretend that the bead is fixed, and the puck is moving in a (horizontal) circle round the bead …

so how will the speed V of the puck (you can't use "v", that's already in use for the bead :wink:) depend on θ?

Once you've found V, find T, and rest should be easy. :smile:

1. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a frame of reference in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is a sliding puck analyzed from an inertial reference frame?

In analyzing a sliding puck from an inertial reference frame, the focus is on the forces acting on the puck and how they affect its motion. This includes considering the forces of friction, gravity, and any applied forces, as well as the puck's velocity and acceleration.

3. What factors affect the motion of a sliding puck?

The motion of a sliding puck can be affected by various factors, including the surface it is sliding on, the force applied to it, and the mass and shape of the puck itself. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance and friction can also impact the motion of the puck.

4. How does the analysis of a sliding puck from an inertial reference frame relate to real-world applications?

The analysis of a sliding puck from an inertial reference frame can be applied to real-world scenarios, such as studying the motion of objects on a hockey rink or predicting the trajectory of a sliding object on an inclined plane. This understanding can also be used in engineering and design processes for creating efficient and effective systems.

5. What are the limitations of analyzing a sliding puck from an inertial reference frame?

While analyzing a sliding puck from an inertial reference frame can provide valuable insights, it does have limitations. For example, it does not take into account factors such as air resistance and friction, which can significantly impact the motion of the puck in real-world situations. Additionally, the model assumes a perfect, frictionless surface, which may not accurately reflect the conditions of a real-world scenario.