• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Understanding meaning of inertial reference frames

Homework Statement

Which of these situations describes you observing from an inertial reference frame?
a. you are in the car of a train, seated at a table, and the train suddenly slows down
b. you are in the car of a train, going north, and the train goes around a curve to go west
c. you are in the car of a train, and the train is going up a steep hill at a steady speed
d. you are on a ride that spins riders around a horizontal circle

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I read that inertial reference frames are those that are not accelerating. I still do not understand this completely. I think the answer for this question is c, since you would be moving with the train at a constant velocity.

Answers and Replies

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Which of these situations describes you observing from an inertial reference frame?
a. you are in the car of a train, seated at a table, and the train suddenly slows down
b. you are in the car of a train, going north, and the train goes around a curve to go west
c. you are in the car of a train, and the train is going up a steep hill at a steady speed
d. you are on a ride that spins riders around a horizontal circle

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I read that inertial reference frames are those that are not accelerating. I still do not understand this completely. I think the answer for this question is c, since you would be moving with the train at a constant velocity.
Of course there is an equation: a = 0 (no acceleration).

Now for each of the four cases, is a = 0, a < 0, or a > 0?

Last edited:
Noe for each of the four cases, is a = 0, a < 0, or a > 0?
I know this may seem a little goofy, but when I first read your typo “Noe” instead of “Now” I thought it was a typo for “No” and you were contradicting him. Just in case it seemed confusing to him I wanted to emphasize that of course his answer of “c” is correct.