1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A small or no difference with Nitrates!

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    Hey, I may make a complete fool of myself in front of class tomorrow if I try to correct a teacher on something I don't know...but here is the situation. I know that plants (photosynthetic organisms) can take up nitrogen in two forms, NH4+ (ammonium) and nitrate NO3-. On a quiz the supposed answer to which form of nitrogen can be used by plants was NO3+. My question is, is NO3- and NO3+ still a nitrate, and why in my textbook was only NO3- said to be taken up by plants and not NO3-. I'd really like to know so I can correct the teacher if applicable :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2
    what i meant to ask is, whether NO3+ is a nitrate and if it can be used in plants and if it even exists

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NO3 is a nitrate radical. Period. The sign means that it is ionized. Normally when nitrate is in solution it becomes a negative ion NO3- in your example.

I do not think NO3+ can exist in a solution, so I am assuming it is an error in typing.

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4
    Thankyou:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?