Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A small or no difference with Nitrates!

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    Hey, I may make a complete fool of myself in front of class tomorrow if I try to correct a teacher on something I don't know...but here is the situation. I know that plants (photosynthetic organisms) can take up nitrogen in two forms, NH4+ (ammonium) and nitrate NO3-. On a quiz the supposed answer to which form of nitrogen can be used by plants was NO3+. My question is, is NO3- and NO3+ still a nitrate, and why in my textbook was only NO3- said to be taken up by plants and not NO3-. I'd really like to know so I can correct the teacher if applicable :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2
    what i meant to ask is, whether NO3+ is a nitrate and if it can be used in plants and if it even exists
  4. Sep 25, 2007 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NO3 is a nitrate radical. Period. The sign means that it is ionized. Normally when nitrate is in solution it becomes a negative ion NO3- in your example.

I do not think NO3+ can exist in a solution, so I am assuming it is an error in typing.
  5. Sep 26, 2007 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?