Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Solid Calculus and beyond Text

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    hey all,

I DO NOT KNOW THE BEST FORUM TO PUT THIS!!! So i chose calculus....

I am a junior physics/mathematics double major. I am looking for a good math book to really get in depth on some of these topics. I have had Calc 1-3, ODE, PDE, and a special functions class (Legendre, Laguerre, Bessel functions etc.) and i am looking for a really good math book that has more background on all of these topics, especially PDE and its outreaches. I have Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas, and I currently have from the library Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences by K.F. Riley that I really like, but cant seem to find in hardcover anywhere to purchase.

My question is, what do you suggest for further study?

The library here has a huge mathematics/physics section so i can check most any book out before I purchase anything. I would really like the math to be geared toward physics or at least the physical science. Although a good math book thats not applied would be sufficient.

Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could try checking out Arfken's mathematical methods book and see if you like it.

4. Dec 9, 2008 #3
    I have checked that one out, and didnt really like it. It was an older model of the book though.

I recently looked at:

-Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by K.F. Riley. I really like the older edition of the book from like 1974 which my library has and I am currently using for Fourier Transforms. I like the older edition, and the new seems to have more topics and has great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Methods-Physics-Engineering-Comprehensive/dp/0521679710/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228860171&sr=8-3

-Mathematics for Physics and Physicists by W. Appel. This seems to be okay, my library has it. I havent looked too deep into it.

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Physics-Physicists-Walter-Appel/dp/0691131023/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228860625&sr=8-1

Anyone have any ups or downs to either of these two?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?