Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Solved/Unsolved tag for homework problems

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    The new template for the homework forums was a great idea. Would it also be possible to add a provision for the OP to mark his/her thread as solved (or not-solved), so that others who might want to help don't spend time going through a thread that has already been dealt with (unless ofcourse they want to learn something from it)?

I won't take credit for this "idea," I've seen it at work at another forum. :) All you need to do is, go to the first post (in Advanced Mode) and choose the appropriate radio button.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

We've discussed this at length in the Homework Helper's forum. So far we haven't come up with a way to do it that is easy to code up in the present forum software. It's still a good idea, though, and hopefully will happen in some form at some point.

4. Dec 10, 2006 #3
    Hmm...the other forum that I was referring to uses the same software - vBulletin Version 3.6.4. ©2000 - 2006, if that's what you're referring to.

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4
    Speaking of which, I seem to be unable to locate the section where this template has been posted or written?

6. Dec 10, 2006 #5
    Go to one of the sections under the Homework forum and click on the 'New Topic' button - essentially that means you need to start a thread somewhere in homework forum.

7. Dec 10, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm.. there probably is some kind of plug-in which accomplishes this.. I'll look around.

- Warren

8. Dec 12, 2006 #7
  9. Dec 12, 2006 #8
    The second one's certainly better. The one I was talking about just has a [RESOLVED] next to the title of the post. I'll try to get hold of the code, if possible.

10. Dec 12, 2006 #9
    Is there a way to allow people to change thread titles in specific forums such as the homework forums? Perhaps people could just be encouraged to changed their title to "blah blah [resolved]" I have never worked with vbulletin, just phpbb.

11. Dec 12, 2006 #10
    I'm afraid very few would take the time to change it.

12. Dec 12, 2006 #11
    I don't think you can change the title that appears on the forum index (at least without help from a moderator), but you can edit the title that appears within the thread (like the one that's sitting alongside by username in the first post), and that too till the Edit button expires.

13. Dec 12, 2006 #12
    That's most likely true I suppose.

What about this?

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99925

With that, you can pre-program some prefixes that users can append to their thread title. Such as Solved, for instance. This "prefix" menu can also be accessed through the edit mode as well I presume.

Would be nice if there was just a simple radio button next to "edit" or something, would be more likely that people would use it.

14. Dec 12, 2006 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It isn't really a big enough deal for me to spend time hand-editing the vBulletin software. I've been down that road before, and have only been frustrated enormously when it all gets obliterated by the next vBulletin release.

- Warren

15. Dec 12, 2006 #14
    True enough. From reading this guys program description it sounds pretty complicated.

16. Dec 12, 2006 #15
    Sorry for hijacking this thread yet again, but I know that there is a specific section for homework question. My query was to find a specific topic where this template was written. This is as topic where the PF Global Guidelines have been posted, but where is the information for the posting template in HCQ located?

17. Dec 12, 2006 #16

berkeman

Emik, I'm not sure I understand your question, but the template comes up when you start a new thread in the Homework Forums. I don't think it's posted anywhere explicitly otherwise. Just go push the button to start a new thread and you'll see it. Just going to that first step will not cause any empty thread to be posted, if that's what you are worried about.

18. Dec 12, 2006 #17
    I meant the part with:

I don't really find any information relating to it on the post screen (FF/WinXP):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How is it suppose to look?

19. Dec 12, 2006 #18

berkeman

Your screenshots don't show which forum you did that in. The template only appears when you start a new thread in a Homework Forum. Try the Introductory Physics forum in the Homework section, for example.

20. Dec 12, 2006 #19

Doc Al

Like this:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It's just an outline that the poster is expected to fill out.

21. Dec 12, 2006 #20
    EmilK, switch the the "Prime" skin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?