A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section (fortran)

In summary: Here's my code:program summation implicit none include 'omp_lib.h' integer,parameter::dp1=selected_real_kind(15,300) call compute(10.0d3) call compute(2.0d0*(10.0d3)) call compute(5.0d0*(10.0d3)) call compute(10.0d4) call compute(2.0d0*(10.
Hercuflea
I'm working on a code to compute the Kahan summation of two arrays. I'm a bit new to fortran so my error is probably obvious, but I have no idea why. It seems as if I have declared the subroutine according to standard that I have read on the internet. The code is still a work in progress so I haven't written the OMP part yet. I'm getting the following errors from the ifort compiler:

summation.f90(18): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.
subroutine compute(n)
----^
summation.f90(19): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.
integer,parameter::dp2=selected_real_kind(15,300)
--------^
summation.f90(20): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.
integer::i,count,t_stop,tick
--------^
summation.f90(21): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.
real(kind=dp2),allocatable,dimension(:)::a,b
--------^
summation.f90(22): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.
real(kind=dp2)::sum1

Here's my code:
Code:
program summation
    implicit none
    include 'omp_lib.h'
    integer,parameter::dp1=selected_real_kind(15,300)
    call compute(10.0d3)
    call compute(2.0d0*(10.0d3))
    call compute(5.0d0*(10.0d3))
    call compute(10.0d4)
    call compute(2.0d0*(10.0d4))
    call compute(5.0d0*(10.0d4))
    call compute(10.0d5)
    call compute(2.0d0*(10.0d5))
    call compute(5.0d0*(10.0d5))
    call compute(10.0d6)
    call compute(2.0d0*(10.0d6))
    call compute(5.0d0*(10.0d6))

subroutine compute(n)
        allocate(A(n))
        allocate(B(n))
        tick=1
        count=0
        t_stop=2*(10**20)
        call system_clock(count,tick,t_stop)
        sum1=0.0_dp2

do i=1,n
        a(i)=i
        b(i)=a(i)*a(i)
        a(i)=a(i)+sqrt(abs(sin(b(i))))*2.34
        sum1=sum1+a(i)
        end do
        write(*,*) n, sum1, count
        deallocate(a)
        deallocate(b)

end subroutine compute
end program summation

Technology news on Phys.org
The problem you are having with your code is that you are defining the subroutine compute in the middle of the main program summation.

If you move all of the lines between subroutine compute ... end subroutine compute, inclusive, and put them after end program summation, this will be less confusing to the compiler.

Fortran works on the program unit concept, where all of the statements for the main program are kept separate from the statements which define any subroutines or user-defined functions which may be used.

Hercuflea said:
I'm working on a code to compute the Kahan summation of two arrays. I'm a bit new to fortran so my error is probably obvious, but I have no idea why. It seems as if I have declared the subroutine according to standard that I have read on the internet. The code is still a work in progress so I haven't written the OMP part yet. I'm getting the following errors from the ifort compiler:

summation.f90(18): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.
subroutine compute(n)
----^
summation.f90(19): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.
--------^
summation.f90(20): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.
--------^
summation.f90(21): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.
real(kind=dp2),allocatable,dimension:))::a,b
--------^
summation.f90(22): error #6236: A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section.

Here's my code:
Code:
program summation
    implicit none
    include 'omp_lib.h'
    call compute(10.0d3)
    call compute(2.0d0*(10.0d3))
    call compute(5.0d0*(10.0d3))
    call compute(10.0d4)
    call compute(2.0d0*(10.0d4))
    call compute(5.0d0*(10.0d4))
    call compute(10.0d5)
    call compute(2.0d0*(10.0d5))
    call compute(5.0d0*(10.0d5))
    call compute(10.0d6)
    call compute(2.0d0*(10.0d6))
    call compute(5.0d0*(10.0d6))

subroutine compute(n)
        allocate(A(n))
        allocate(B(n))
        tick=1
        count=0
        t_stop=2*(10**20)
        sum1=0.0_dp2

do i=1,n
        a(i)=i
        b(i)=a(i)*a(i)
        sum1=sum1+a(i)
        end do
        deallocate(a)
        deallocate(b)

end subroutine compute
end program summation
From what I remember about Fortran, your main program and subroutine should be separate, and not as you have, with the subroutine being contained within the main program.

Code:
program summation
end program summation

subroutine compute(n)
end subroutine compute

Wow. I can do advanced math and physics but I miss something simple like this. Thanks guys. I had this same error in my code last week and it caused the entire code to crash...smh. I may have more questions on this code.

Hercuflea said:
Wow. I can do advanced math and physics but I miss something simple like this. Thanks guys. I had this same error in my code last week and it caused the entire code to crash...smh. I may have more questions on this code.

In subroutine compute, you create two large arrays for storing a and b, which are entirely unnecessary for calculating the sum. There's no need to store these values of a and b when you just dump the arrays at the end of the subroutine.

Actually, that thing about having the subroutine outside the main program is no longer the modern style of doing Fortran (90 and beyond).

The quick fix to your program as posted is to insert a line that says "contains" right before the subroutine.

Even more so, the new style is to use "modules".

Likes FactChecker
Ok...I'm stuck with this code again. I think I may be calling the subroutine improperly? I pass different values of n to the subroutine but it just keeps outputting that n=0 always. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

And SteamKing...the instructions from my professor were to allocate the arrays. I think it has to do with efficiency because we are looking at OpenMP efficiency vs. serial. I'm still trying to just get the serial working though.

Code:
program summation
        implicit none
        include 'omp_lib.h'
        real(kind=dp1)::a
        a=10.0d3
        call compute(a)
        a=2.0*(10.0d3)
        call compute(a)
        a=5.0*(10.0d3)
        call compute(a)
        a=10.0d4
        call compute(a)
        a=2.0*(10.0d4)
        call compute(a)
        a=5.0*(10.0d4)
        call compute(a)
        a=10.0d5
        call compute(a)
        a=2.0*(10.0d5)
        call compute(a)
        a=5.0*(10.0d5)
        call compute(a)
        a=10.0d6
        call compute(a)
        a=2.0*(10.0d6)
        call compute(a)
        a=5.0*(10.0d6)
end program summation

subroutine compute(n)
        integer::i,tick,count,t_stop
        allocate(a(n))
        allocate(b(n))
        tick=1
        count=0
        t_stop=2*(10**20)
        sum1=0.0_dp2

do i=1,n
                a(i)=i
                b(i)=a(i)*a(i)
                sum1=sum1+a(i)
        end do

deallocate(a)
        deallocate(b)
end subroutine compute

Code:
           0  0.000000000000000E+000  1480668689
           0  0.000000000000000E+000  1480668692
           0  0.000000000000000E+000  1480668693
           0  0.000000000000000E+000  1480668694

It would be nice to see the latest code, exactly...the one posted initially does not have 'n' declared anywhere...could it be that you have the subroutine somewhere where the "implicit none" has no effect and hence the argument 'n' is an integer and you are passing reals to it?...I am not sure what may be happening during the type-cast of them.

By the way, I don't think "do-loops" allow for real values, do they?

gsal said:
It would be nice to see the latest code, exactly...the one posted initially does not have 'n' declared anywhere...could it be that you have the subroutine somewhere where the "implicit none" has no effect and hence the argument 'n' is an integer and you are passing reals to it?...I am not sure what may be happening during the type-cast of them.

By the way, I don't think "do-loops" allow for real values, do they?

You can use reals for do-loop counters, but these are trickier than the more common integer values.

Hercuflea said:
Ok...I'm stuck with this code again. I think I may be calling the subroutine improperly? I pass different values of n to the subroutine but it just keeps outputting that n=0 always. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

And SteamKing...the instructions from my professor were to allocate the arrays. I think it has to do with efficiency because we are looking at OpenMP efficiency vs. serial. I'm still trying to just get the serial working though.

Fair enuf. Like gsal said, you are defining a in the main program as a REAL and then passing it to the subroutine, where the subroutine expects an INTEGER. You should declare n in the subroutine as a REAL and see if the output changes. Arguments are passed by reference in Fortran instead of by value, so this may be the source of your problem.

SteamKing said:
Fair enuf. Like gsal said, you are defining a in the main program as a REAL and then passing it to the subroutine, where the subroutine expects an INTEGER. You should declare n in the subroutine as a REAL and see if the output changes. Arguments are passed by reference in Fortran instead of by value, so this may be the source of your problem.
Ha! thank you, this seems to have fixed my problem. I changed a to an integer and it works.

I tried declaring a to be myint=SELECTED_INT_KIND(32), but it tells me I can't use the syntax integer(kind=myint)::a . I'm not sure why I'm not allowed to do this?

Hercuflea said:
Ha! thank you, this seems to have fixed my problem. I changed a to an integer and it works.

I tried declaring a to be myint=SELECTED_INT_KIND(32), but it tells me I can't use the syntax integer(kind=myint)::a . I'm not sure why I'm not allowed to do this?

It could be because the syntax should be SELECTED_INTEGER_KIND(n), where n takes values of 1, 2, 3, or such. IDK if 32 is an acceptable value for the parameter in this statement.

What does the error "A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section (fortran)" mean?

This error means that a statement that is used to declare or specify a variable, function, or subroutine has been placed in a section of the code where it cannot be executed. In Fortran, specification statements must be placed in the declaration section, which comes before the executable section.

Why is it important to follow the proper placement of specification statements in Fortran?

Following the proper placement of specification statements is important because Fortran is a structured language, meaning that the code must be arranged in a specific order for it to be executed correctly. Placing specification statements in the wrong section can cause errors and make the code unreadable.

What are some examples of specification statements in Fortran?

Some common specification statements in Fortran include "integer," "real," "character," "logical," and "dimension." These statements are used to declare the type, size, and shape of variables and arrays.

How can I fix the error "A specification statement cannot appear in the executable section (fortran)"?

To fix this error, simply move the specification statement to the declaration section before the executable statements. Make sure to follow the proper formatting and indentation in the code.

Are there any exceptions to the rule that specification statements cannot appear in the executable section?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to this rule. Some advanced features in Fortran, such as the "ASSOCIATE" statement, allow for specification statements to be placed in the executable section. However, it is generally best practice to follow the standard placement of specification statements to avoid any potential errors.