1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A standing wave on a string with a mass hanging on it

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sphere of mass M=6.85 kg is supported by a string that passes over a light horizontal rod of length L=0.73 m.

Given that the angle is θ=22.3° and that the fundamental frequency of standing waves in the section of the string above the horizontal rod is f=246 Hz, determine the mass of this section of the string.

2. Relevant equations
    v = √(T/μ)
    μ = m / L
    v = fλ

3. The attempt at a solution
    First off, I found the length of the string by using trig since it's a right triangle. L = 0.789 m (different L than on the attached picture)

It is the fundamental frequency so the λ = 2L. λ = 1.57 8m

The tension I found through looking at its FBD from which I obtained T = mg/sinθ. T = 177.09 N

Now I combined eliminating v from two of the equations above, I derived fλ = √(T/μ). Then I substitute μ = m / L and isolate m. I get an equation of m = (TL/[fλ]^2)

Using the derived equation, I calculate a value of m = 0.000927 kg, but the CAPA says it is wrong. I was quite confident on my approach, to the point that I'm doubting the CAPA now, so I don't know where my errors are.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2
    The tension in the string is not mg/sinθ
    it's just mg as the string passes over a (I presume) smooth end of the rod.
    Otherwise the method is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook