Sound & Music - Tension of a string

In summary, the A string on a violin with a fundamental frequency of 440Hz and a vibrating portion of 32.4cm and mass of 0.340g requires a tension of 85.277N. This can be calculated using the equation T = μV^2, with μ = 0.001049kg/m and V = 285.12m/s.
Torrie

Homework Statement

1. The A string on a violin has a fundamental frequency of 440Hz. The length of the vibrating portion is 32.4cm and has a mass of 0.340g. Under what tension must the string be placed?

Homework Equations

V = Fλ
Vs = √t/μ

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in my info to determine V = 142.604
then I attempted the second equation as:
T = .340(142.604^2)
This gave me the wrong answer
I also tried:
T = 1.049(142.604^2) - (.340g/.324m = 1.049g/m)
This also gave me the wrong answer. I am not sure what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
Now I realize that v = 285.12. I forgot to multiple length by 2 to get the wavelength.
But I still can't figure out the second equation

Torrie said:
Now I realize that v = 285.12. I forgot to multiple length by 2 to get the wavelength.
But I still can't figure out the second equation
Make sure that your units all match (pay attention to your units for μ).

Should μ be kg/m?
So... 0.00034/.324m = .001049kg/m?

Torrie said:
Should μ be kg/m?
So... 0.00034/.324m = .001049kg/m?
Yes.

Okay so then I have

.001049(285.12^2) = 85.277

So the tension would need to be 85.277N?

Looks right to me. Be sure to round to the required number of significant figures.

Thank you so much!

1. How does the tension of a string affect the pitch of a sound?

The tension of a string directly affects the pitch of a sound. As the tension increases, the pitch of the sound also increases. This is because the tighter the string, the faster it vibrates, creating a higher frequency and therefore a higher pitch.

2. What factors contribute to the tension of a string?

The tension of a string is influenced by several factors, including the material and thickness of the string, the length of the string, and the force applied to stretch the string. In general, thicker and shorter strings with more force applied will have a higher tension.

3. How does the tension of a string affect the quality of the sound?

The tension of a string has a significant impact on the quality of the sound produced. A string with low tension will produce a dull and flat sound, while a string with high tension will produce a clear and bright sound. The ideal tension for producing a high-quality sound varies depending on the instrument and personal preference.

4. Can the tension of a string be adjusted?

Yes, the tension of a string can be adjusted by either tightening or loosening the string. This can be done manually by turning tuning pegs or using a capo or fretting technique on certain instruments. It is important to carefully adjust the tension to avoid damaging the string or instrument.

5. How does the tension of a string impact the playability of an instrument?

The tension of a string is crucial in determining the playability of an instrument. A string with too much tension can be difficult to press down, making it challenging to play. On the other hand, a string with too little tension can feel loose and may produce a buzzing sound. Finding the correct tension is essential for comfortable and efficient playing.