A steady-state solution for the flow in the Boussineq approximation in a star

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
fab13
Messages
300
Reaction score
7
Hello,

I am trying desperately to find the solution indicated in this question :

V8zBal6.png


If I compute the equations on the 3 axis, I can't get the flow to be directed along ##\vec{e_y}##.

I have only :

##\dfrac{\partial v_{z}}{\partial t} = -\dfrac{1}{\rho_0}\dfrac{\partial \delta P}{\partial z}+\alpha g \delta T\quad(1)##

##\dfrac{\partial v_{x}}{\partial t} - 2\Omega_{z} v_{y}=0\quad(2)##

##\dfrac{\partial v_{y}}{\partial t} + 2\Omega_{z} v_{x}=0\quad(3)##

Anyone could see how to prove a flow directed along ##\vec{e_{y}}## for the steady solution of this equation ?

and with a gradient along ##\vec{e_{z}}## ?

Any help would be kind.
 
Attachments
  • V8zBal6.png
    V8zBal6.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,013
Astronomy news on Phys.org
There must be a flow along the y direction caused by the Coriolis force. The boussinesq approximation gives you buoyancy which fits with vertical flow. Use the given formula to partition total flow into the 2 perpendicular directions.

The solution to b should be in a few pages back in the textbook. I do not know what textbook you got that from. That wording of a question usually means the authors definition was in bold print or something similar. Also a likely test question so you might as well memorize that definition.