A strip of copper placed in a magnetic field

In summary, a strip of copper with specific dimensions is placed in a uniform magnetic field with a given magnitude and orientation. When a current is passed through the strip, a Hall potential difference is generated across its width. To calculate this potential difference, the first step is to find the electric field, which can be done using the formula V = Ed. The cross-sectional area of the strip can be determined from its width and thickness. The next step is to understand how a Hall voltage is generated, which involves the force exerted by the magnetic field on the charge carriers passing through the strip. The separation of charges creates an electric field that opposes the magnetic force, resulting in a balanced system. Starting from this step can help in solving the problem.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

A strip of copper 10 mm wide and 700 micrometers thick is placed in a uniform mag. field B magnitude 0.9 T, with B perpendicular to the strip. A current i = 45 A is then sent through the strip, such that a Hall Potential difference V appears across the width of the strip. Calculate V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that V = Ed, so I think my first step is to find E.

However, I'm running into problems because it seems like they have given me a two dimensional object...

For example, I assume E = i/pA would work here to find E, but what exactly is cross sectional area if the object is a "two dimensional" strip?

I don't understand how they want me to work this. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The strip has the given width and the given thickness (i.e. the cross-sectional area) and some length which is not given.

I see, but then how do I use V=Ed?

I assume this d is length?

Or should I rethink the approach entirely?

thanks.

Are you familiar with how a Hall voltage is generated?

Yes, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the strip which gives a force perpendicular to itself and the velocity of the charge carriers which tends to pull the charge carriers to one side of the strip.

As the charge cariers are passing along the length of the strip and through the cross-section of the strip, they are pulled one way by the magnetic field and so they pile up on one face of the strip. This separation of charges creates an electric field which will force the charge cariers in the opposite direction.
So the Hall voltage stops growing when the
magnetic force = electric force
Why not start from this step?

1. What is the purpose of placing a strip of copper in a magnetic field?

The purpose of placing a strip of copper in a magnetic field is to observe the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction. When a conductor, such as copper, is moved through a magnetic field, it experiences a force that causes electrons to flow and creates an electric current.

2. How does a strip of copper behave in a magnetic field?

When a strip of copper is placed in a magnetic field, it will experience a force perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the strip. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is what causes the electrons in the copper to move and create an electric current.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric current produced by a strip of copper in a magnetic field?

The strength of the electric current produced by a strip of copper in a magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the strip is moved through the field, and the length and thickness of the strip. Additionally, the angle between the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the strip can also affect the strength of the current.

4. Can a strip of copper in a magnetic field be used to generate electricity?

Yes, a strip of copper in a magnetic field can be used to generate electricity through the process of electromagnetic induction. As the strip moves through the magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux induces an electric current in the copper, which can then be harnessed for various applications.

5. Is there a limit to the strength of the electric current produced by a strip of copper in a magnetic field?

Yes, there is a limit to the strength of the electric current produced by a strip of copper in a magnetic field. The strength of the current is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field and the speed at which the strip is moved through the field. If either of these factors is too low, the current produced will be too weak to be useful. However, there are ways to increase the strength of the current, such as using a stronger magnet or increasing the speed of the strip through the field.