A stupid question but I have to ask it

• Thread starter HossamCFD
  • Start date
Hi all,

So I am applying for Ph.D in a few universities. In the application form I am asked for my ethnicity. I am an Arab (Egyptian) but I can't find such ethnicity in the list to choose from. What should I choose ? I think I am not black nor white and definitely not Asian or Hispanic. Should I just choose 'other' or are Arabs considered one of those ethnicity ?

Sorry if the question is stupid, but I really need an answer

Thanks

Evo

Mentor
Your race would be white, or black depending on your family tree, but your ethnicity would be Arab.

Last edited:
Your race would be white, but your ethnicity would be Arab.
Thanks !

I don't really understand the difference. The application asks only about ethnicity not race. So, is it better to choose white or other ? I am afraid they consider me as providing misleading information if there is no agreement about this.

cobalt124

Gold Member
Is it compulsory to fill in? You may not even have to. If you do I would just tick other and give a description you prefer if there is a space provided.

Is it compulsory to fill in? You may not even have to. If you do I would just tick other and give a description you prefer if there is a space provided.
Well, it is compulsory (the application wouldn't proceed to the next checklist unless answer is provided). Also there is no space for description.

I think I am just going to write 'other' as you said.

Would it be African-American?

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I believe Arabs are considered Caucasian.

Would it be African-American?
I am not American. I am of course African in the geographical sense but I am not sure if this is the same as ethnicity.

Evo

Mentor
Well, it is compulsory (the application wouldn't proceed to the next checklist unless answer is provided). Also there is no space for description.

I think I am just going to write 'other' as you said.
Other may be the best option since there is no telling what the person you end up dealing with believes.

I believe Arabs are considered Caucasian.
It seems that you are right. However, I just checked 'other' in the list to avoid confusion. Thanks

Evo

Mentor
Then the term is really a misnomer. I wonder what necessitated this euphemism for black.

i forget what i put on my university application this time. it's not a question we are required to answer. well, at least the answer can be "no answer". i think i might have put "other" this time, but "none of your g.d. business" may have been it, too.

i forget what i put on my university application this time. it's not a question we are required to answer. well, at least the answer can be "no answer". i think i might have put "other" this time, but "none of your g.d. business" may have been it, too.
:rofl:

That's exactly how I feel. When I was applying to summer internships, answering the question was optional for all except for one. On that one I just picked "other" even though one of the others better described me.

On the census, I picked "other" and wrote in "human." I don't understand everybody's obsession with race.

cobalt124

Gold Member
My preferred answer too.

AlephZero

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Egypt is geographically considered caucasion.
It may depend who is doing the considering. The recent UK census split ethnc groups into two levels. The top level groups were
White
Mixed/multiple ethnic groups
Asian/Asian British
Black/African/Caribbean/Black British
Other

Each group had several second-level options, plus a "write-in" option.

"Arab" was a second-level option under "Other"

I always end up being a million different things for these surveys. >.>

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses