A sum I wish I never came across

• Thread starter Apteronotus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the expression represents a limit as \Delta t and n approach 0 and infinity respectively, and the sum of x^k is taken. If x approaches 1^- and \Delta t approaches 0, the sum should diverge to positive infinity. However, if x is less than 1, the sum converges. The existence of interrelations between the variables may affect the limit's convergence.
Apteronotus
I've come across the following summation

[tex]lim_{\stackrel{\Delta t \rightarrow 0}{n \rightarrow \infty}}\left(\Delta t \sum_{k=0}^n x^k\right)[/tex]

moreover, as [tex]\Delta t \rightarrow 0, x\rightarrow 1^-[/tex]

Does the sum converge? to what?

My thoughts...
The sum as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty [/tex] is simply the Mclaren series of [tex](1-x)^{-1}[/tex], so as [tex]x \rightarrow 1^- [/tex], the sum should diverge to [tex]+ \infty[/tex], however, we have the [tex]\Delta t[/tex] in the front that [tex] \rightarrow 0[/tex], and that's as far as my intellect takes me...
any ideas?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dt doesn't seem to participate in the expression, did you forget it somewhere?

elibj123 said:
dt doesn't seem to participate in the expression, did you forget it somewhere?

Yes, I'm so sorry. Its fixed now.

You have three variables, n, x, and [itex]\Delta t[/itex].

If they are all allowed to vary independently, the limit does not exist - you can construct sequences of (n,x,[itex]\Delta t[/itex]) which approach any number you want.

If there are some interrelations between them, that's a different story.

Apteronotus said:
My thoughts...
The sum as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty [/tex] is simply the Mclaren series of [tex](1-x)^{-1}[/tex], so as [tex]x \rightarrow 1^- [/tex], the sum should diverge to [tex]+ \infty[/tex], however, we have the [tex]\Delta t[/tex] in the front that [tex] \rightarrow 0[/tex], and that's as far as my intellect takes me...
any ideas?

if x < 1 it converges.

What does "A sum I wish I never came across" mean?

"A sum I wish I never came across" refers to a mathematical equation or problem that is particularly challenging or difficult to solve.

What types of sums are typically considered "A sum I wish I never came across"?

These sums can range from complex algebraic equations to difficult calculus problems or even unsolved mathematical conjectures.

Why do some scientists and mathematicians seek out these challenging sums?

For some scientists and mathematicians, solving difficult problems and pushing the boundaries of knowledge is a source of intellectual stimulation and satisfaction.

What strategies do scientists use to solve "A sum I wish I never came across"?

There is no one definitive strategy for solving difficult sums, but some common techniques include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using logical reasoning and deduction, and applying mathematical principles and theorems.

Can anyone solve "A sum I wish I never came across"?

While difficult sums may require advanced mathematical knowledge and skills, with dedication and persistence, anyone can attempt to solve them. However, some sums may remain unsolved for decades or even centuries, challenging the scientific community to continue seeking solutions.