A thought experiment on relativistic Electrostatics

In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment on Special Relativity involving charges at rest with respect to each other. The experiment involves a configuration of charges in a stable equilibrium, and then explores the effects of a moving frame of reference on the equilibrium. It is found that the ratio of charges changes in the moving frame due to the inclusion of magnetic forces. This raises questions about the invariance of charge under relativity.
vinven7
Here is a thought experiment on Special Relativity involving charges which are rest with respect to each other.

Consider a configuration of charges as shown in the image. Four identical charges (q) are placed at the corners of a square with an opposite charge at the centre (Q). The value of Q is such that the whole configuration is stable and no charge experiences a net force.
It can be shown that for this to work

[Q]/[q]= 1+[itex]\sqrt{2^{3}}[/itex]

Now consider the same configuration of charges in an inertial frame of reference moving at a velocity v relative to a stationary observer. This observer should find the square to be squeezed into a rectangle as the length in the direction of motion will contract.
It should be assumed that the charges would still not experience a net force - as an observer in the same frame of reference as the charge system will not find the charges to be moving.
If the stationary observer calculates the equilibrium of the charges, he should find a new ratio for the charges:

[Q]/[q]= 1+ [itex]\sqrt{(1+\gamma^{2})^{3}}[/itex]

where
[itex]\gamma[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{ 1- \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}[/itex]

Thus, the observer moving along with the charges will find one ratio for the charges while the observer at rest will observe another ratio.
But how can this be since they are the same system of charges and charge is itself an invariant under relativity?
I hope I have been clear enough. Please ask me if you'd like something cleared.

Attachments

• charge distribution-rest.png
    charge distribution-rest.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 436
  • charge distribution moving.png
    charge distribution moving.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vinven7 said:
The value of Q is such that the whole configuration is stable and no charge experiences a net force.
I don't think this is right. It's not possible to have a stable, static equilibrium for a classical system of point charges. This follows from Gauss's law. I think the system you're talking about is in an unstable equilibrium.

vinven7 said:
But how can this be since they are the same system of charges and charge is itself an invariant under relativity?
You have to take into account the magnetic forces that occur in the new frame.

bcrowell said:
I don't think this is right. It's not possible to have a stable, static equilibrium for a classical system of point charges. This follows from Gauss's law. I think the system you're talking about is in an unstable equilibrium.

Yes, they are in unstable equilibrium. I was only implying that no charge experiences a net force.

You have to take into account the magnetic forces that occur in the new frame.

In the new frame, the charges themselves are at rest relative to each other. So then why would they experience a magnetic force?
The stationary observer will however find a moving charge and will detect a magnetic field because of it - but I am not sure how the individual charges if/how respond to it.

In the new frame, the charges themselves are at rest relative to each other. So then why would they experience a magnetic force?
Because in the new frame they are both moving. A moving charge is equivalent to a current. A current produces a B field that wraps around the current (right hand rule) and is transverse to the direction of motion. The other moving charge experiences a Lorentz force from this B field, F = qv x B. The result is an additional attraction between the charges.

I find this thought experiment to be a fascinating exploration of the principles of relativistic electrostatics. It highlights the concept of frames of reference and how they can affect our observations and measurements of a system.

The key idea here is that while the ratio of charges (Q/q) may be an invariant quantity, its numerical value can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This is due to the effects of length contraction and time dilation, which are fundamental principles of Special Relativity.

In this thought experiment, we see that the stationary observer will measure a different ratio of charges compared to the observer moving with the charges. This is because the moving observer experiences a different perception of space and time compared to the stationary observer.

Furthermore, this thought experiment also highlights the importance of considering the effects of relativity in electrostatics, which is often overlooked in traditional Newtonian physics. It shows that our understanding of electrostatics must be expanded to incorporate the principles of Special Relativity.

Overall, this thought experiment serves as a valuable reminder that our observations and measurements are always relative to our frame of reference, and that the principles of Special Relativity must be taken into account in all areas of physics, including electrostatics.

1. What is a thought experiment on relativistic electrostatics?

A thought experiment on relativistic electrostatics is a hypothetical scenario designed to explore the effects of special relativity on electrostatic interactions between charged particles. It involves imagining a situation where the particles are moving at different speeds and observing how their electric fields and forces change.

2. How does special relativity affect electrostatic interactions?

Special relativity predicts that as an object's speed increases, its mass and energy also increase. This means that charged particles moving at high speeds will have a greater electric field and exert a stronger force on other charged particles, compared to when they are at rest.

3. What is the significance of a thought experiment on relativistic electrostatics?

A thought experiment on relativistic electrostatics allows scientists to better understand the fundamental principles of special relativity and how it applies to the behavior of charged particles. It also helps to explain phenomena such as particle accelerators and cosmic rays, which involve high-speed charged particles.

4. Can a thought experiment on relativistic electrostatics be tested in a laboratory?

No, a thought experiment on relativistic electrostatics is purely hypothetical and cannot be tested in a laboratory. However, the principles and predictions derived from the experiment can be tested through real-world experiments and observations.

5. How does a thought experiment on relativistic electrostatics relate to other fields of science?

A thought experiment on relativistic electrostatics has implications in various fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It also helps to bridge the gap between classical and modern physics, providing a deeper understanding of the behavior of matter and energy at high speeds.