A Thousand Brains: Interview w/ Author on AI and Neuroscience

• Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
In summary, an interesting interview was found with the author of the book "A Thousand Brains", which explores the concept of consciousness and its relationship to neuroscience. The speaker expressed their belief in the importance of understanding the brain and its functions, and even ordered the book after watching the interview. The idea that the mind forms models to guide our actions was particularly intriguing to them and they see it as a fundamental aspect of science. The post was initially placed in the biology forum but was later moved to computer science due to the author's background in AI. This reflects the growing interdisciplinary nature of science.
I found an interesting interview with the author of a book called A Thousand Brains:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CDYR545/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Over on the QM Forum, things sometimes get into this consciousness thing, and we need to understand it better to understand QM. I'm afraid I have to disagree with that, but the scientific discipline of what the brain does and how it works (neuroscience) is, of course, an interesting area worth knowing a bit about. Anyway, I am watching the interview now and am impressed:

So impressed I ordered the book. I especially like the idea the mind really forms models that determine our actions, which I have believed in for a long time. In fact, IMHO, it is at the foundations of science.

Others may be interested in it as well.

I was a bit unsure where to put the post, but the author uses his work in AI and has won awards in the area, so I decided to put it in computer science after initially posting in Biology. It just goes to show science is becoming more interdisciplinary all the time.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Borg
Technology news on Phys.org
I read a book by Jeff Hawkins, called something like "On Intelligence", which explained his idea of how our brains work so well to see patterns. I don't know whether it had any influence on AI research.

Likes bhobba

1. What is the main focus of your book "A Thousand Brains"?

The main focus of my book is to explore the intersection of artificial intelligence (AI) and neuroscience. I delve into how the brain works and how it can inspire the development of AI systems.

2. What inspired you to write this book?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the brain and its complex functions. With the rapid advancements in AI technology, I saw an opportunity to bridge the gap between the two fields and share my knowledge with a wider audience.

3. How does neuroscience inform the development of AI?

Neuroscience provides insights into how the brain processes information and adapts to new situations. By understanding these mechanisms, we can design AI systems that can learn and adapt in a similar manner.

4. What are some potential ethical concerns with the development of AI inspired by the brain?

One concern is the potential for AI to surpass human intelligence and autonomy, which could have consequences for society and the job market. There are also concerns about privacy and security, as well as the potential for biased or discriminatory algorithms.

5. How do you see the future of AI and neuroscience unfolding?

I believe that the two fields will continue to inform and inspire each other, leading to even more advanced AI systems and a deeper understanding of the brain. However, it is important to proceed with caution and consider the ethical implications of these advancements.