1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A tricky intigration for rotational inertia

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    alright, so i'm trying to find the rotational inertia of a urethane longboard wheel, and i need to integrate a section of it that looks like a truncated annular cylinder that looks something like this if you cut it in half

attachment.php?attachmentid=26409&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1276221948.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    just to be sure that i don't plagiarize or anything, i was hoping for more of a hint instead of a straight up answer if possible... question mark

3. The attempt at a solution
    i first derived the equation for the rotational inertia of an annular cylinder (I=(1/2)M(R1^2+R2^2), then i used M=(density)V to find the mass, but i can't find the density unless i dump the wheel into a wet measure filled with water, and i really don't wanna do that.

any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Your drawings look like you have a cylinder and then you removed a cone from it, so you can get the inertia like that.

4. Jun 10, 2010 #3
    actually i figured it out, it just turned out that i needed to dunk the wheel in water no matter what. eh, all in the name of physics i guess

5. Jun 12, 2010 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not just put it on a scale and weigh it to find the mass?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook