Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A tricky intigration for rotational inertia

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    alright, so i'm trying to find the rotational inertia of a urethane longboard wheel, and i need to integrate a section of it that looks like a truncated annular cylinder that looks something like this if you cut it in half

attachment.php?attachmentid=26409&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1276221948.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    just to be sure that i don't plagiarize or anything, i was hoping for more of a hint instead of a straight up answer if possible... question mark

3. The attempt at a solution
    i first derived the equation for the rotational inertia of an annular cylinder (I=(1/2)M(R1^2+R2^2), then i used M=(density)V to find the mass, but i can't find the density unless i dump the wheel into a wet measure filled with water, and i really don't wanna do that.

any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Your drawings look like you have a cylinder and then you removed a cone from it, so you can get the inertia like that.

4. Jun 10, 2010 #3
    actually i figured it out, it just turned out that i needed to dunk the wheel in water no matter what. eh, all in the name of physics i guess

5. Jun 12, 2010 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not just put it on a scale and weigh it to find the mass?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook