1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A typical motion question (am I correct?)

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    Hey, I was wondering if someone could check my answer for this question:

A helicopter is rescuing a boy from a flooded street. Hovering 20 m in the air, a cable is lowered to the child. After it is attached, the helicopter begins to accelerate upwards at 0.2 m/s^2. Eight seconds later, the rope snaps and the child plunges to the ground. How fast (in km/h) was the child traveling when he landed?

Helicopter:

a = 0.2m/s^2
    t = 8s
    v1 = 0 (I figured since he is hovering)

Boy:
    v1 =
    d =
    a = 9.8m/s^2

I started by calculating the overall distance the helicopter traveled; it came out to 6.4 m, which makes it 26.4 m in the air. The boy must then be 6.4 m off the ground, and thus his fall is a total of 6.4 m.

Then I calculated the final speed of the helicopter. I figured that the final speed of the helicopter should be the initial speed of the boy. This came out to 1.6m/s

At this point I have the distance of the boy's fall, his acceleration, and his initial velocity (it turned out to be negative, due to direction).

I subbed in acc, v1, and d into v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad and got an answer of 11.31 m/s, which ends up being 41 km/h.

Is my logic correct? Thanks in advance,

Nicholas

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What is v1 in the equation - v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad.

Your logic regarding the altitude of 6.4 m and the boys velocity 1.6 m/s is correct.

At the point the cable breaks, the boys begins to decelerate, from 1.6 m/s until he stops, V=0, at which point he achieves maximum altitude. Then the boy accelerates downward to the ground.

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3
    Ack! I forgot about the upward motion. Thanks Astronuc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?